Refine Search Clear All
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 04/15/2021
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Flexible Term or Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for Software Developers with a combination of education and experience commensurate with supporting a variety of software development assignments. The selected candidates will work on multi-disciplinary teams in an environment that encourages the support of the academic research community while focusing on problems of interest to LLNL and DOE programs as a member of a dynamic, multidisciplinary team environment. These positions will be within a group in the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide computer science and software development support using industry standard software development practices and modern programming languages and operating systems.
- Develop a range of applications including scientific, graphical user interface, database, and visualization applications on UNIX platforms.
- Participate in the requirements definition, analysis, design, implementation, debugging, testing, and optimization of computer programs on workstations.
- Participate on a research team to support work and research papers.
- Contribute to the fulfillment of technical projects and organizational objectives, functioning as an effective team member on multi-disciplinary teams.
- Engage other developers frequently to share relevant knowledge, opinions, and recommendations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Design, implement, deploy, and maintain software systems using object-oriented analysis, design, and programming techniques.
- Provide solutions to moderately complex problems involving largely identifiable factors.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Skilled in all aspects of software project life cycle: feasibility, requirements, design, implementation, integration, test and deployment.
- Experience developing software with either Python, C++ or JAVA within Linux, UNIX, and/or Windows environments.
- Ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities and meet deadlines that are important to project success.
- Experience approaching difficult problems with enthusiasm and creativity.
- Effective interpersonal skills necessary to interact with all levels of personnel with the ability to work independently in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills to prepare, present, and document technical information.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Ability to work effectively with minimal guidance.
- Experience providing innovative approaches and applying new technologies to broadly defined tasks and projects.
- Broad experience applying effective analytical and problem-solving skills to moderately complex problems.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Experience with Perl, Web Technologies, Ajax, or HTML5, Oracle database schema design and SQL, distributed control systems, real-time operating systems, Big Data analytics, NAS, platforms, resource management systems, Linux virtualization, cloud computing technologies, grid frame works, and cloud file systems, revision control systems, remote boot protocols, and/or experience in a High Performance Computing environment.
- Experience with application development using object oriented methods, an understanding of fundamental networking and distributed computing concepts, and/or experience maintaining a High Performance Computing system.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.