Refine Search Clear All
Environment, Safety and Health Operations Manager
Business Operations | livermore, CA | 04/15/2021
Job Code: AMC.3 Administrative Manager 3
Organization: ESH and Quality
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for an Operations Manager to provide strategic leadership for operations and business throughout the Environment, Safety and Health (ES&H) Directorate and provide day-to-day management of the diverse set of functions, disciplines, and personnel within the Office. The Office functions will include workforce development, human resources, resource management, facilities and space management, fleet and property management, procurement, as well as the Communications, the Document & Records Management (DCRM), and the Safety Education & Training (SETS) organizations. You will provide the strategic vision to ensure ES&H operations are conducted effectively to support the ES&H mission and its customers, and represent the Office’s functions internal and external to the Laboratory, including the Livermore Field Office and DOE. You will be a key member of the Environment, Safety and Health (ES&H) Directorate senior management team and report directly to the Associate Director for ES&H.
In this role you will
- Serve as a key advisor to the ES&H AD, and as an integral member of the ES&H Directorate senior management team to formulate and execute strategic planning.
- Provide overall leadership to the Operations & Business Office, while managing the integration and delivery of innovative and cost-effective policies and processes both internal to the Directorate and in support of the institution. Develop and maintain meaningful, data driven performance measures for the business and operations functions that inform the health of the processes, identify opportunities for improvement, and lead improvement initiatives.
- Lead, develop, and manage the Directorate Management Plan and Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) to enable the responsible investment of the Directorate’s ~$50M budget. Ensure all work scopes, roles, and responsibilities within the WBS are well-defined, and bring accountability and transparency to ES&H directorate costs to our customers. Ensure proposed changes to work scopes are reviewed against the directorate’s budget allocations. Works closely with the Resource Manager and directorate management in these initiatives.
- Lead, develop, and manage strategic workforce planning and workforce development initiatives that support the Directorate’s ~400 employees, including hiring processes, succession planning, leadership development, and employee recruitment, retention, and career development. Works closely with the Directorate Administrator and directorate management in these initiatives.
- Lead strategic improvement initiatives to improve the quality of deliverables and/or compliance with requirements. The Directorate manages 1000+ communications annually both internally to the Lab workforce and management, and externally to DOE, NNSA, DNFSB, and other regulators, ~540 training courses, ~260 institutional governance documents, and creates thousands of records annually, all of which must meet rigorous requirements.
- Working closely with the ES&H AD, manage the annual performance and salary management processes, and the annual budget reviews. Prepare detailed presentations and reports.
- Provide overall leadership to the Operations & Business Office, while managing the integration and delivery of innovative and cost-effective policies and
- Manage a diverse team of disciplines and functions, including administrators, resource managers, training specialists, document and records management specialists, technical release representatives, and communication specialists. Establish performance expectations and provide periodic feedback and formal annual appraisals and provide input to ranking.
- Lead resolution of broad, highly complex, and sensitive issues as well as complex projects that require broad participation across the directorate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related management field, or the equivalent combination of education and extensive related experience.
- Significant experience leading and/or managing a variety of operations and business programs at a large company or national laboratory, including strategic planning, workforce planning, budget management, organizational dynamics, and strategic and operational goal setting.
- Significant subject matter expertise in one or more of the functions within the Operations & Business Office, experience interpreting and evaluating regulations, demonstrated ability to determine regulatory applicability and impact on operations, and experience evaluating and proposing solutions for issues related to implementation.
- Experience successfully leading change within an organization. Experience building strong working relationships and trust with a demanding customer base, leading staff in achieving high standards of customer service, and a personal commitment to a customer service ethos.
- Experience successfully collaborating on senior management teams to develop organizational strategy, objectives, measures, and goals.
- Expert situational awareness, problem solving, decision making, and analytical skills necessary to independently advise, recommend, and resolve highly complex problems having Laboratory-wide impact.
- Expert communication, facilitation, collaboration, interpersonal, and conflict resolution skills necessary to effectively explain, direct, present, advise, negotiate, and influence all levels of management, both internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Experience in performance management of staff and managers, with the ability to motivate and inspire a diverse group of personnel. Includes writing annual performance appraisals and providing input to ranking, and resolving performance issues.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in a business or related management field.
- Detailed knowledge of Laboratory with a broad-based knowledge of operational and business issues and challenges.
- Broad knowledge of DOE/NNSA and LLNL business policies and procedures and its governance structure.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.