Refine Search Clear All
Mechanical Engineer - Generalist
Engineering | livermore, CA | 04/15/2021
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for Mechanical Engineers. You will work on projects and provide technical expertise involving optical support, beam path, diagnostic, positioners, infrastructure, and electromechanical systems with integrated electrical, optical, and mechanical components for the National Ignition Facility and Photon Sciences (NIF&PS) Directorate. You will provide engineering solutions for a variety of projects ranging from upgrades to the current systems to development of the next generation beam path and optical support systems. You will be involved throughout the product development life cycle, starting with concept initiation and requirements gathering and continuing to implementation, testing, and installation of the system. These positions are in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Derive engineering requirements, develop conceptual designs, and perform supporting analyses of beam path, infrastructure, and electromechanical systems as well as test prototypes for the current and next generation beam path, infrastructure, diagnostic, and optical support systems under general direction.
- Oversee the detail design process, component part fabrication, and unit assembly.
- Prepare supporting safety and engineering documentation and participate in engineering design reviews.
- Develop and execute commissioning, maintenance, and calibration procedures for well-defined subsystems including analyzing, summarizing, and presenting resulting data.
- Generate detailed plans, schedules, and budgets for project activities under general direction.
- Prepare technical documents and author technical presentations.
- Collaborate with team members to ensure the successful integration and proper functioning of commissioned systems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Review scope, schedule, budget, and quality of moderately complex to complex engineering work done in support of the beam path, diagnostic, optical support, and infrastructure systems projects and provide regular updates to management.
- Define requirements and design experiments to develop advanced capabilities utilizing comprehensive knowledge of systems engineering processes.
- Select methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for detailed hardware design and function of commissioning instrumentation and tooling under limited direction.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline, or the equivalent combination of education and previously relevant experience.
- Hands-on experience with the fundamental design, commissioning, operation, and maintenance of limited complexity mechanical, diagnostic, and optical support systems.
- Fundamental knowledge of mechanical systems including automated control of mechanical devices and infrastructure systems using computer-based systems.
- Fundamental knowledge of common data analysis techniques, statistics, and/or systems engineering.
- Fundamental knowledge of and/or experience with design principles.
- Experience using standard project management practices.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Comprehensive knowledge of moderately complex to complex precision hardware and mechanical system design.
- Broad experience applying systems engineering processes to mechanical design and testing.
- Proficiency and broad experience identifying, defining, and solving moderately complex to complex multi-disciplinary problems in a timely, cost effective manner.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with precision engineering and accurate measurement systems.
- Experience working on large-scale laser or equivalent system operations, maintenance, and production support.
- California certificate of registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) or equivalent certification in another state.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.