Refine Search Clear All
Laser-matter Research-Experimental Physicist
Engineering | livermore, CA | 04/15/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Organization: NIF and Photon Science
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for Experimental Physicists to independently execute experiments and/or to develop instrumentation in support of the National Ignition Facility (NIF) and OMEGA laser-matter research. You will plan, design, execute and oversee experiments in the fields of laser-plasma interactions, hydrodynamics, radiation transport, implosion physics, material strength and nuclear physics. These positions are in the High Energy Density (HED) Scientific & Technology (S&T) Program within the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF & PS) Principal Associate Directorate (PAD).
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Plan, design, execute and analyze complex laser and x-ray driven physics experiments on existing Laser Facilities (NIF and Omega).
- Develop nuclear, x-ray or optical diagnostics as needed, utilizing advanced knowledge.
- Craft complex analytical models and using them to independently interpret experimental results.
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team in the development of innovative methods to support the NIF and Omega projects.
- Author scientific reports and providing oral presentations for internal and external LLNL scientists.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals, and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties are assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.4 level
- Establish objectives for, and oversee experiments in, the fields of highly complex laser-plasma interactions, hydrodynamics, radiation transport, implosion physics, and material strength or nuclear physics.
- Serve as subject matter expert in identified areas, using highly advanced knowledge and interacting with mid-level and senior management, while leading working groups.
- Provide direction to junior scientists and technical personnel.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- PhD in plasma physics, hydrodynamics, shock physics, spectroscopy, nuclear physics, condensed matter or related field or discipline, or equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Significant scientific knowledge and experience independently designing, executing, and analyzing complex experiments in the areas of laser-plasma interactions, hydrodynamics, radiation transport, implosion physics, material strength or nuclear physics.
- Significant knowledge and experience developing complex diagnostics, image processing, and data analysis.
- Advanced analytical skills necessary to solve complex problems and make decisions.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present and explain technical information, author technical and scientific reports, publications, and invited papers, and provide advice to management.
- Experience working independently, as well as in a team, with minimal direction in a driven environment.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Expert knowledge and substantial experience designing, executing, and analyzing highly complex experiments in laser and x-ray driven physics.
- Expert knowledge and substantial experience developing new ideas or modifying approaches.
- Experience overseeing the experimental activates of junior scientists and technical personnel.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience designing, executing, and analyzing experiments in the field of plasma and atomic physics with knowledge of plasma characterization techniques and instrumentation.
- Experience with x-ray sources, time-resolved optical and x-ray photon detection techniques, CCDs, imaging and spectroscopy.
- Experience with spectrum and image analysis using numerical processing.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.