Refine Search Clear All
Cybersecurity Reverse Engineer
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 04/19/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Organization: Global Security
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for Cybersecurity Reverse Engineers with a background in cybersecurity with emphasis on software assurance. You will contribute, provide subject matter expertise and lead research projects in the area of cybersecurity for critical infrastructure systems and civilian networks. You will leverage LLNL’s software assurance capabilities to enhance the security of software and firmware that resides in our critical networks and industrial control systems devices. These positions are programmatically in Global Security’s Energy and Homeland Security (E) Program and administratively will report to the payroll supervisor of the hiring organization.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Perform specialized moderately complex to complex static and dynamic analysis of binaries, firmware and source code to find inefficiencies and bugs, Under limited direction.
- Develop and implement new tools for automated software assurance analysis.
- Reverse engineer software, firmware and malware binaries.
- Interpret results of software analysis and ensure validity and security of software and software updates.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Lead multidisciplinary teams in the areas of software assurance for critical infrastructure cyber security, information security, and network security. Continue building LLNL’s software assurance capability.
- Pursue program development opportunities by co-authoring proposals and proposing ideas that will address sponsor needs. Identify program growth opportunities for existing customers, understanding the customer space and needs.
- Present results and provide subject matter expertise across multi-discipline projects engaging with sponsors on a regular basis.
- Master’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Software engineering experience in C, C++, or Python.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and/or experience in program analysis of source code, binaries, or firmware.
- Experience with hardware or software debuggers and/or with static disassemblers and decompilers.
- Broad knowledge of instruction set architectures, such as ARM, x86/x64, PowerPC and/or MIPS
- Ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with contending priorities, as well as approaching difficult problems with enthusiasm and creativity to change focus when necessary.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate comprehensive knowledge effectively across multi-disciplinary teams and to non-cyber experts and the interpersonal skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Significant software engineering experience and advanced knowledge of and experience in software assurance.
- Project leadership experience and ability to work independently while effectively managing concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities.
- Experience writing research proposals and securing sponsor funding, with advanced interpersonal, verbal, and written skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present and explain technical information, and provide advice to management.
Qualifications We Desire
- Ph.D. degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field.
- Understanding of and/or experience in formal verification methods; experience with firmware extraction from devices; and/or experience with industrial control systems software and hardware.
- Knowledge of one or more of the following computer science disciplines: parallel programming, embedded systems, high performance computing, scientific data analysis, machine learning, systems programming, software engineering, and big data technologies.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.