Refine Search Clear All
Engineering Services Division Leader
Engineering | livermore, CA | 04/19/2021
Job Code: TSL.3 Technical Services & Ops TSL 3 / TSL.4 Technical Services & Ops TSL 4
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
The Infrastructure Engineering and Operations Department (IEOD) in the Operations & Business Principal Directorate has an opening for Engineering Leader to lead the Engineering Services Division. In this role you will provide technical leadership and management for a large diverse workforce and a $2M annual operating budget. You will manage systems engineering, planning and design for civil, architectural, electrical, and mechanical systems at the Livermore Site and at Site 300 with a replacement plant value over $20B. You will ensure the engineering needs of the Programs and the Laboratory are met and advocate for operating and capital funding to ensure the systems remain in good operating condition with a high degree of availability. You will interface with Laboratory scientific, technical, and administrative clients in resolving highly complex systems engineering and construction issues as they relate to mechanical utilities. This position will report to the Infrastructure Engineering and Operations Department Head.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide advanced technical coordination, leadership, and direction to a group of professional engineers and technical personnel who are engaged in the planning, engineering, maintenance and operation of building systems, roads and grounds, electrical and mechanical utilities, and mechanical equipment.
- Provide technical leadership and direction to technical personnel who are engaged in utility location, documentation and labeling of real property, and issuing permits for excavation, wall penetration, and low-voltage outages.
- Determine support levels and needs; establish and implement personnel action procedures including workforce requirements, performance management, disciplinary actions, annual performance evaluations, ranking, career development, mentoring, and recruiting.
- Direct engineering quality and consistency in design, maintenance, and operation of building systems, roads and grounds, electrical and mechanical utilities, and mechanical equipment, including Configuration Management, Master Plans, Standards and Specifications.
- Oversee utility improvement construction projects, including line item, General Plant Projects (GPP) and operating funded projects.
- Manage, oversee, and implement annual operating and construction budgets.
- Establish and implement, through line supervisors, organizational and operational policies, guidelines, and procedures.
- Plan for engineering requirements through system condition assessment, master plans, and user surveys including developing, monitoring, and reporting on performance measures for building systems, roads and grounds, electrical and mechanical utilities and mechanical equipment.
- Perform failure risk and system analysis and advise clients regarding system integrity, availability, repairs, and operating requirements specifications.
- Collaborate and interact regularly with senior management, a diverse workforce, and other functional areas including preparing technical presentations for management, programmatic clients, O&B and DOE/NNSA Livermore Field Office / Headquarters.
- Provide a positive, respectful work environment and providing career development opportunities through coaching, organizing, and developing assigned staff ensuring employees understand and practice the elements of good customer service including product quality, service quality, cost effectiveness, and responsiveness.
- Be responsible for the general oversight and personal commitment to the goals of Integrated Safety Management, Environmental Management, compliance with all ES&H regulations, good business practices, diversity, and equal opportunity.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSL.4 level
- Provide consultative support, advice and technical expertise on planning, engineering, maintenance and operation of building systems, roads and grounds, electrical and mechanical utilities and mechanical equipment that have institutional impact.
- Serve as the spokesperson and direct significant and specialized projects or programs key to the organization.
- Champion large projects with significant span of control and delegated authority that affect the organization's long-term strategic goals and objectives.
- - Develop and deliver technical presentations to programmatic clients, O&B Senior Management, and DOE/NNSA Livermore Field Office/Headquarters and field any associated questions.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Electrical, or Mechanical Engineering or related field or the equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
- Significant engineering and management experience and advanced knowledge in design, maintenance and operation of building, civil, electrical, and mechanical systems including regulatory requirements, configuration management, standards, and specifications.
- Significant experience providing reliable, cost-effective engineering services across multiple disciplines.
- Advanced knowledge of applicable codes as it pertains to facility and utility modification, alterations, and maintenance work including experience working with state and local regulators.
- Experience planning/forecasting short- and long-term workforce requirements for engineers and technical personnel.
- Supervisory, budgetary, technical, and administrative experience, and experience providing technical direction to a large diverse workforce.
- Experience working as a team player in a multi-disciplined environment.
- Advanced communication, facilitation, collaboration, interpersonal, problem-solving, decision making and analytical skills necessary to effectively interact and independently advise, recommend and approve appropriate actions and implement solutions to all levels of management, engineers, facility managers and scientific personnel.
- Experience fostering and promoting a safe and healthy work environment to ensure that ES&H issues are dealt with in a prompt and efficient manner adhering to all local, state and federal guidelines and regulations.
Additional qualifications at the TSL.4 level
- Significant technical, organizational, team-building and interpersonal skills necessary to manage a multi-disciplinary workforce, who execute multiple projects at one time, with different levels of complexity that requires coordination from a variety of organizations while maintaining a strong safety culture in the workplace.
- Extensive experience in long range strategic planning, budget management and establishing strategic and operational goals to ensure reliability of mechanical utility systems.
- Significant supervisory, budgetary, technical and administrative experience, and significant experience managing a large diverse technical craft and service workforce
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of IEOD’s organization, philosophy and procedures.
- Professional Engineer registration.
- Significant experience in acquisition planning for construction, Architect-Engineer services, and facilities service contracts, and in pre- and post-award contract project management.
- Experience developing, monitoring and reporting on performance measures.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.