Refine Search Clear All
Code Developer (Flight Test Group)
Engineering | livermore, CA | 04/15/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Code Developer in the Flight Test Group working with the LIDSS Team (LLNL Independent Diagnostic Scoring System). You will create and help maintain state-of-the-art computational mechanics algorithms, ensure the fidelity and performance of their implementation, and support their usage by multiple team members on flight scoring performance and warhead assessments. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate. DTED provides support to Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Programs.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Create and maintain state-of-the-art computational mechanics algorithms that provide modeling capabilities of terminal flight diagnostics, implement as software suitable for post flight mission analysis.
- Establish quantitative uncertainties in the scoring results and offer suggestions for improvement.
- Proactively interact with users to assess software performance and provide solutions for moderately complex issues of modeling or software errors.
- Adapt software development and QA practices and contribute to their continuous improvement.
- Work with the LIDSS team to design and develop novel measurements and analysis products for use by sponsors.
- Contribute to technical presentations given to sponsors (DOE, DoD) on analytic results and contribute to overall analytic efforts for the team.
- Travel several times a year to remote locations like the Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands for scoring analysis of Flight Missions. Travel duration ranges between a week to 12 days at a time. Missions in the continental U.S. may require less travel time.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Mentor other analysts, train newly hired staff and junior members.
- Serve as a technical ambassador for LIDSS analysis in interfacing with sponsors and other flight test community members.
- Plan and drive experiments that help validate uncertainties in the code and provide briefing to sponsors on ramifications of these uncertainties.
- Develop and maintain codes for other platforms, such as drones and end-to-end flight capabilities.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Master’s degree in Engineering with some experience with a computational mechanics focus, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge of computational mechanics and numerical analysis.
- Proficient in Java, Python or C/C++ programming.
- Detail oriented, strong desire to understand fundamental mechanics.
- Experience conducting independent research.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Ability to travel multiple times a year for 8-10 day duration to foreign locations in support of flight tests.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Experience in developing new codes and vetting those codes against test data.
- Strong command of Graphical User Interface (GUI) design and version control software (e.g., git).
- Fundamental understanding of optics principles.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in Engineering or related field.
- Familiarity with image analysis and extracting engineering parameters from optical images.
- Experience with development of software GUI’s for use in developing easy to use tools to aid analysis.
- Experience working with a team and directing efforts of others.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.