Refine Search Clear All
Bombs Group Leader/Project Engineer - Active Clearance Required
Engineering | livermore, CA | 04/15/2021
Job Code: SEL.4 Science & Engineering TSL 4 / SEL.5 Science & Engineering TSL 5
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Bombs Group Leader/Project Engineer. You will have responsibility for leading technical activities, leading a group of professional and technical personnel, and stewarding a stockpiled LLNL weapon system. You will manage employees and resources to accomplish technical and administrative requirements, interacting with all levels of management within, and external to, the Laboratory to establish a wide range of projects, develop budgets, and manage execution. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate, and will support the Weapon Technologies and Engineering Program (WTE).
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Foster and uphold the weapon program’s mission, vision, and values through leadership of Bombs Group personnel and activities. Lead and engage in thoughtful engineering design reviews to ensure the technical excellence of our designs.
- Lead Bombs Group personnel to execute required scope, while providing a stimulating and challenging environment which encourages continual learning, improved system knowledge, improved processes, and personal growth.
- Provide Design Agency support to Production Agencies in their execution of production, surveillance, investigations, and dismantlement scope.
- Develop and manage technical workscope necessary to maintain confidence in performance and safety of the weapon system, informed by all legacy knowledge, to support all Annual Assessment activities and deliverables. Manage all aspects of the group’s projects including appropriate work assignments, definition of scope, cost estimates, funding allocations, and schedules.
- Support documentation, refinement, and execution of standard processes for weapon system stewardship in order to provide uniformity and continual improvement in execution of stewardship mission.
- Maintain robust communications, collaborations, and contacts, internal and external to LLNL. Represent WTE and WCI at meetings, briefings, and committee activities both internal and external to the Laboratory. Ensure project requirements, status, risks, and issues are communicated in an effective and timely manner to senior leadership.
- Conduct performance management activities for group personnel and support DTED ranking and salary processes.
- Support activities for hiring and managing a vigorous and capable workforce.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SEL.5 level
- Influence strategic technical decisions made by senior management and external customers.
- Mentor staff across the organization, including other mentors.
- Serve as organization spokesperson by Laboratory management and/or external advisor by sponsors.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience with engineering analysis, hardware design, fabrication, testing processes, formal design reviews, and technical presentations.
- Expert knowledge of nuclear weapon systems, their applications, their design, and support of their production at the Plants within the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Nuclear Security Enterprise (NSE).
- Effective organizational skills, knowledge and experience with project management tools and techniques, including work planning, scheduling, cost estimating, analyzing and managing financial data, and project reporting.
- Ability to promote and maintain productive relationships across directorates, with other laboratories, and with personnel from external entities, using expert communication and collaboration skills, necessary to present, explain, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors.
- Effective leadership, interpersonal skills, and supervisory skills to lead personnel, write performance appraisals, and actively participate in ranking sessions.
- Ability to travel.
Additional qualifications at the SEL.5 level
- Expert knowledge of Surveillance or Product Realization processes of design, qualification, and certification of nuclear weapon systems.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, influence, and advise senior management and external sponsors.
- Nationally recognized expertise in engineering analysis and hardware design, fabrication, and testing processes or expert technical knowledge to address advancements that may have impact beyond the Laboratory
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree or PhD in Engineering.
- Broad knowledge of Laboratory policies and practices and applicable NNSA orders.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.