Refine Search Clear All
Power Engineer-Automation and Controls Lead
Engineering | livermore, CA | 04/15/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for an experienced engineer. You will lead system research on electrical power grid infrastructure analysis with a focus on grid resilience and participate in business development for the Cyber and Infrastructure Resilience (CIR) program in the Global Security (GS) Principal Associate Directorate. You will participate in collaborations with and travel to DOE headquarters and institutions such as national labs, utilities, and vendors in support of CIR’s growing research portfolio in electric grid infrastructure for the Department of Energy (DOE)’s Grid Modernization Initiative and Department of Defense (DoD). This position is in the Computational Engineering Division (CED) within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Lead and support complex research projects with competing priorities and implement advanced research concepts in a multidisciplinary team environment where dedication and deadlines are important to project success.
- Partner with other LLNL scientists and engineers to bring research results to practical use in LLNL Global Security programs.
- Work closely with other CIR program area leads in developing the CIR program research roadmap.
- Develop internal and external collaborations and provide input for securing funding sources to meet program goals and objectives.
- Co-author refereed scientific papers and reports and deliver presentations for audiences internal and external to LLNL.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.4 level
- Balance multiple projects/tasks and priorities of customers and partners to ensure deadlines are met.
- Lead various highly complex projects, effectively leveraging the skills of team members. Serve as a mentor for other staff and assist in recruiting efforts.
- Serve as a primary technical point of contact with sponsors and partners and participate in development of new program business.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Master’s degree in engineering or Computer Science, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience beyond graduate school in electric power industry or utility.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: distribution automation and operations, microgrid design and operation, networked microgrids, distribution planning, modeling and simulation, data analytics, laboratory and field pilot testing related to electric distribution system modernization technology.
- Advanced record of technical achievements.
- Ability to use standard programming languages to support modeling analysis and visualization of control theory for distribution grid components.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills needed to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present and explain technical information, document work, prepare and present successful proposals and high-quality research papers, and provide advice to management.
- Ability to travel off-site, including potentially internationally, for sponsor and customer interaction.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Highly advanced experience leading the application and development in one or more of the following areas: distribution automation, control theory and operations, distribution optimization planning, modeling and simulation, microgrid design and operation.
- Subject matter expert knowledge and significant experience as a project manager or principal investigator of projects with differing priorities, loosely defined deliverables, and high visibility.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to present, explain, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science, or equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge.
- Significant experience working at national laboratories.
- Experience working with Department of Energy (DOE), Department of Defense (DoD) and other relevant state government agencies.
- More than 15 years of experience in electric power industry.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.