Refine Search Clear All
Administrative | livermore, CA | 03/04/2021
Job Code: A01.3 Business Operations Spec 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have two openings for a Department Administrator in support of the Business Directorate. You will manage the hiring and recruiting functions for either the Supply Chain Management (SCM) Department or Technical Information Department (TID) and will coordinate a wide range of advanced and diverse administrative activities and complex projects with changing variables and multiple factors that are not easily answered by standard procedures. You will represent management in daily administrative matters and participate as a member of the team in the development, implementation, and monitoring of all aspects of SCM’s administrative and personnel activities. This position is in the Business Directorate.
In this role you will
- Use in depth knowledge to serve as the primary point of contact for department administrative matters; plan, execute, and/or provide oversight to a variety of workforce, operational and organizational requirements and activities.
- Advise and implement department planning and execution, operational issues, workforce activities and Laboratory policies and procedures; develop methods for successfully meeting department deliverables.
- Manage department administrative staff to include hiring, supervising, mentoring, career development, disciplinary actions, training, performance appraisals, coordinating work assignments, and providing ranking and salary recommendations.
- Manage and oversee the department performance management and ranking processes for all classifications within the department and matrix programs, ensuring adherence to Laboratory policy and organizational standards.
- Represent department on self-assessment, audit teams, or work-related committees and lead projects to assess, set and establish protocol and procedures.
- Solve complex and sensitive problems, develop, evaluate, and implement new techniques and procedures, interpret policy, formulate recommendations and establish procedures.
- Research, gather, select, analyze, and compile information from various sources for reports and presentations. Prepare administrative and scientific material including correspondence, documents, tables, charts, and reports.
- Establish and maintain complex databases, spreadsheets, and tracking systems to ensure action items are completed by the required due date, and follow up on pending items.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
Associate’s degree in a business related field or equivalent combination of significant experience and education in a related business, operational, and/or organizational area.
Supervisory experience with leadership and team building skills to effectively build and manage administrative personnel who support multidisciplinary groups.
Comprehensive knowledge of recruiting, hiring, performance management and staff relations practices and knowledge and understanding of HR compliance requirements for hiring FLSA, ADA, EEO, etc., and experience interpreting and applying a wide variety of personnel policies and procedures.
Experience leading business, operational and organizational activities.
- Advanced administrative and organizational skills, including detail oriented, flexibility and experience independently coordinating and prioritizing multiple and complex work activities, often with conflicting deadlines. Ability to work effectively with short deadlines and frequent interruptions.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills necessary to handle sensitive and confidential issues with tact, discretion, and mature judgment to interact with a diverse group of personalities and disciplines at all levels internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills to anticipate, identify, and resolve complex issues effectively.
- Diverse experience in the use of specialized software and administration tools; expert use of MS office applications.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now