Refine Search Clear All
Applications Help Desk/Support Specialist
Administrative | livermore, CA | 03/04/2021
Job Code: E03.2 Appl Help Desk/Support Spec 2 / E03.3 Appl Help Desk/Support Spec 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Applications Help Desk/Support Specialist to provide technical direction and highly advanced application support for the Laboratory Integrated Network for Contracts and Supply (LINCS) system to users across the laboratory in a broad variety of roles. The LINCS system is a custom-built procurement application consisting of 14 integrated modules which interface to applications across the lab and externally. As the technical lead for LINCS application support, you will be responsible to disseminate information, analyze, evaluate and resolve inquiries and systems support issues for LINCS. This position is in the Supply Chain Management Department within the Business Directorate
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
Provide advanced technical application support to user community on the LINCS application.
- Analyze and evaluate complex organizational and/or institutional application problems and takes actions to resolve system issues with users; devise new approaches, methods and techniques to solve customer support issues.
- Address system support issues including integrations between LINCS and other institutional applications by interactions with managers, IT developers and system end-users and recommend improvements.
- Assist auditors, managers, resource analysts and others requesting data from LINCS with defining complex ad-hoc report requests.
- Disseminate information to end users regarding systems downtime, issues and enhancements through written and verbal communications including presentations to large forums.
- Maintain and update the shared knowledgebase (technical documentation and procedures).
- Monitor and track systems support metrics (problem resolutions and enhancement requests) using the JIRA system; ensure thorough documentation of inquiries/ issues and resolutions are up to date in JIRA.
- Administer and maintain LINCS user roles, data tables, report administration, and other system administration functions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the E03.3 level
- Interact with organizational and/or institutional high-level managers, IT developers and system end-users to address customer support issues that cross business functions; work with groups throughout the Laboratory to lead the development of new and enhanced business processes impacting multiple user groups.
- Serve as an advisor on institutional committees as the LINCS representative. Lead customer support services. Provide guidance and instruction on system functionality, and lead implementation of solutions that involve multiple users/functions.
- Evaluate and prioritize requests for system enhancements or changes and make recommendations on implementation. Participate and/or lead in the customer requirements definition, design and user acceptance testing of system changes and enhancements and facilitate customer feedback sessions; use metrics to analyze customer support processes and application design and define support policies and procedures.
- Deliver formal and informal training to various user groups and one-on-one; maintain and update LINCS user guides and manuals.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associates Degree in a related business field, or equivalent combination of technical training and education.
- Ability to maintain and manipulate database systems, monitor database integrity and implement quality assurance procedures.
- Ability to develop test cases for user acceptance and performing software testing to debug and suggest detailed refinements to ensure quality.
- Experience in and broad knowledge of the end-user’s business environment.
- Strong understanding of related application tools and technologies; experience learning and applying these technologies.
- Experience using report generation tools to retrieve data electronically using data query tools.
- Experience designing and implementing end-user training programs and documentation; interpreting, developing, and implementing application/administrative policies and procedures.
- Excellent verbal, written, presentation and interpersonal communication skills necessary to interact effectively with all levels of Laboratory personnel.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Strong ability to pay attention to detail, accuracy and efficiency.
- Organizational skills with experience in multi-tasking and prioritizing multiple and complex tasks in a dynamic work environment under time constraints with changing priorities. Ability to use discretion and tact in handling sensitive business information.
Additional qualifications at the E03.3 level
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related business field, or equivalent combination of technical training and education.
- Significant experience in and extensive knowledge of multiple end-user environments and ability to recommend organizational and institutional policies across business environments; experience researching new tools, technologies and methodologies to prepare recommendations to management.
- Experience providing advanced systems support with strong technical analytical skills to troubleshoot and resolve complex and unique user issues. Ability to resolve complex problems using independent judgement and creative solutions. Advanced analytical skills to accurately define and capture ad hoc report requests.
- Experience leading and/or supervising professional staff.
- Experience overseeing and managing end-user training programs and documentation; presenting application specific information to management and clients; designing and implementing administrative policies, systems, procedures, and programs.
Qualifications We Desire
Experience with LINCS, ShipIt, Universal Content Management (UCM), JIRA, and Lawrence Livermore National Security’s (LLNS) purchasing system policies, procedures and applicable requirements.
- Knowledge of both business and system processes between LINCS and Finance.
- Experience with supply chain management systems and working knowledge of procurement practices.
- Experience and/or knowledge of systems support issue tracking software.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now