Refine Search Clear All
Senior Estimating Specialist
Business Operations | livermore, CA | 03/04/2021
Job Code: Q01.4 Project Controls Analyst 4 / Q01.5 Project Controls Analyst 5
Organization: Operations and Business Office
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Senior Estimating Specialist who will provide support to Laboratory projects and programs in the form of planning, design, estimating, and specifying materials required for job order work by shop crafts or on-site contractors. Your responsibilities will include defining activities and associated scope, activity durations, logic and interfaces between activities, and resource loading activities. This position is in the Project Management Office (PMO).
This position will be filled at either the Q01.4 or Q01.5 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will:
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Oversee the preparation of complex cost estimates; development and application of assembled unit rates to quantities, extensions for total cost estimates, and estimates created for staff resource hours using standard construction reference material, preferably based on Construction Specification Institute (CSI Masterformat).
- Establish format and content of summaries and reconciliations, including segregation of cost per level of confidence and identification of areas of risk; identify improvements needed to the risk/contingency review process, and develop and implement solutions.
- Prepare and develop contingency and escalation evaluation for estimates; assist in the development of value engineering suggestions, coherently explain the basis of estimate (BOE) to customers and management.
- Serve as subject matter expert on cost estimating activities; mentor, review, and advise others on the production and status of schedule network data and participate in developing and presenting training classes and on-the-job training for cost estimating processes and practices.
- Interface with designated management and client counterparts for specific planning and scheduling tasks and earned value presentations; interact with a diverse workforce, apply constructability concepts to develop detailed cost estimate take-offs, and provide constant feedback to all project stakeholders.
- Reconcile estimated costs versus bid costs to develop more accurate estimates by understanding and tracking current market influences; ensure current information on rates, prices, and trends are fed back into the estimating system.
- Perform job site visits during preconstruction to evaluate existing conditions, and during construction to assure job is being performed as estimated, discuss problem areas as they develop, offer solutions, and support change order validation.
- Ensure business sensitive information such as official government estimates are properly distributed and managed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the Q01.5 level
- Responsible for the effective architecture of an estimating system and the development of scoping requirements for the overall cost estimate by discipline or other specialty.
- Assist with the management and oversight of planning and implementation of estimating efforts.
- Regularly interface with senior management in the development of estimating initiatives and maintain liaison with functional management to coordinate workload and estimating staffing plans.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant functional discipline or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience as a multi-discipline Construction Cost Estimator with either a general or specialty subcontractor.
- Expert knowledge of and understanding of technical processes, engineering standards, state and federal codes, engineering drawings (including reading prints, drawing sketches, reading specifications), analyzing data, generating records, and writing mathematical and financial reports.
- Expert level knowledge of and experience using cost/estimating/scheduling computer applications to estimate jobs related to conceptual designs, preliminary design, and for delivering final cost estimate in advance of contract bidding.
- Knowledge of and experience developing cost estimates for man hours using standard construction reference material such as R.S. Means, Richardson, Sheet metal & Air Conditioning Contractors’ National Association (SMACNA) and National Electrical Contractors Association (NECA) guidelines.
- Experience estimating jobs for conceptual designs, preliminary designs, and developing final costs estimates in advance of contract bidding, for both Design build and Design Bid Build project deliveries.
- Experience using Microsoft Office and computer-based estimating, take off, scheduling and spreadsheet programs such as Sage Estimating, OST, and Bluebeam.
- Advanced interpersonal and communication skills to effectively establish and maintain highly productive working relationships with a broad cross-section of management, technical, scientific, and administrative personnel.
In Addition at the Q01.5 Level
- Expert knowledge and understanding of all the components in the project controls estimating system and current industry and technical developments.
- Experience as a skilled specialist in establishing criteria for project controls estimating systems and activities.
- Experience in direction, personnel administration, and training of technical and nontechnical personnel with experience presenting project controls information to client/management.
- Experience mentoring others in cost estimating functions, including planning and scheduling, and leading and training technical and non-technical personnel.
Qualifications we desire:
- Significant experience working with a general or specialty subcontractor and working in the estimating field in the San Francisco Bay Area or other high-cost area.
- Certified Estimating Professional certification or Project Management Professional certification.
- Experience using software tools such as Primavera P6, Microsoft Project, AutoCAD, Revit, and SharePoint.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now