Refine Search Clear All
Network Automation Engineer- Entry/Associate
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 03/04/2021
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Network Automation Engineer with expertise in enterprise network engineering, operations, and software development as we transition towards virtualized and software driven networks. You will be involved in the design and development of network automation software, design, and troubleshooting of complex network infrastructures. This position is in the Enterprise Infrastructure Services Division (EIS) within the Computing Directorate, in support of Liv IT Department.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Contribute to the development of fundamental software/frameworks to automate network device configuration and deployment and network fabric deployment including the creation of customer self-service interfaces.
- Participate in the design and implementation of campus and data center networks, utilizing modern networking overlay technologies including eVPN, VXLan, Cisco Application Centric Infrastructure (ACI), etc.
- Support COTS network software and monitoring tools (e.g. SolarWinds, NetMRI, AKiPs, etc) and their integration with custom software applications.
- Support and troubleshoot existing campus and data center network infrastructures.
- Introduce and articulate well defined networking concepts in network design solutions to influence strategy and future direction of enterprise networks.
- Formulate network design solutions and implementation methodologies, including solving fundamental production and/or implementation issues.
- Understand and define network requirements and solutions to meet customer needs, interfacing with LLNL customers.
- Collaborate with customers and team members to ensure completion of project deliverables.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Collaborate with customers to provide moderately complex network automation solutions, customized for their environments.
- Contribute to the diagnosis of network automation problems.
- Determine methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for network security, monitoring, and management solutions with program specific needs.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Fundamental experience supporting large scale enterprise or service provider infrastructure with knowledge of network engineering, network automation, software development, IP networking, datacenter network technologies, packet forwarding architectures and/or internet routing protocols (BGP, OSPF, ISIS MPLS, GRE, IPSec, VxLAN, Dot1Q, QinQ, 40G/100G futures, netflow/Jflow, SNMP etc.).
- Knowledge of software development, preferably in Python or Java.
- Knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals, data structure, algorithms, object-oriented design, and/or systems architecture.
- Experience with the testing and automation of SDN solutions at scale.
- Experience configuring and managing network systems in Cisco IOS.
- Familiarity with Software Defined Networking technology and controllers, with skills in automation and debugging.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Broad experience developing moderately complex to complex software for the automation or provisioning of infrastructure.
- Work under limited direction to resolve problems, develop solutions, and configure network monitoring tools and network management tools.
- Comprehensive software development skills.
Qualifications We Desire
- Vendor specialized certifications, such as Cisco, Palo Alto Network, Splunk, or F5.
- Knowledge of Linux or UNIX environments with a good understanding of networking concepts.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now