Refine Search Clear All
Master Oscillator Room Technical System Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/04/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Technical System Engineer (SE) for the National Ignition Facility (NIF) Master Oscillator Room (MOR). The SE is responsible for ensuring optimal performance of all MOR systems, supporting integration of new capabilities, troubleshooting off-normal events, prioritizing work activities and scheduling, assisting in the development of cost estimates, fulfilling work permit requirements and ensuring all MOR training requirements are kept up to date. NIF is the largest and most energetic laser facility, the most precise and reproducible laser, as well as the world’s largest optical instrument. The laser has nearly 40,000 optics that precisely guide, reflect, amplify, and focus 192 laser beams onto a fusion target about the size of a pencil eraser. The MOR is a fiber-optic based laser system that provides the starting light for NIF. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Apply comprehensive and broad technical expertise to moderately complex to complex operations, maintenance, repairs, and upgrades to MOR systems.
- Perform periodic maintenance activities in the MOR. Responsibilities include performance evaluation, calibration (offline and online), troubleshooting and supporting off-normal occurrences including off-hours on-call support, data analysis, data archiving and developing test reports and analysis presentations.
- Participate in the coordination and planning of all MOR activities, under limited direction, both within the MOR team as well as with the broader NIF facility.
- Support the development and design of system enhancements to increase system reliability and maintainability.
- Acquire and analyze large sets of moderately complex data using computer-based data acquisition and controls.
- Interact with a large computer control system, through graphical user interfaces (GUI’S), to commission, operate and maintain various diagnostics and controls.
- Generate and maintain system documentation relating to broadly defined configuration management including operations & test procedures; interpret & document performance and test results; identify issues and propose solutions.
- Interface with immediate supervisors, project leads, scientists, engineers, and technicians in the group to complete various projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Apply advanced knowledge of engineering principles in the development of complex sub-system designs. Activities include leading and planning work activities, collaborating with stakeholders to develop requirements, leading design reviews, designing and building hardware prototypes, and executing instrumentation performance evaluation, installation, commissioning, and documentation.
- Perform complex analysis of the MOR performance at a systems level and present data to a peer review team with recommendations to enhance system performance.
- Schedule work activities, lead workforce planning and scheduling, ensuring all MOR tasked workers meet training requirements while providing advanced technical advice to technical teams and management.
- Provide engineering solutions to resolve complex technical and programmatic issues including matters that may not be well defined.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE X-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Optical Engineering, Physics, or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Comprehensive and broad experience and proficiency working with moderately complex to complex fiber optics technologies including modulators, attenuators, detectors, measurement techniques, single-mode, and specialized fibers.
- Broad experience working with the full lifecycle of systems design, operations, maintenance, repairs, and upgrades while troubleshooting moderately complex to complex technical issues and evaluating system performance.
- Comprehensive skills and proficiency with laboratory test equipment including oscilloscopes, signal generators, optical spectrum analyzers, energy, and power meters.
- Broad experience collecting, analyzing, interpreting data; writing test plans, documenting test results, and generating reports.
- Knowledge of analytical software such as MATLAB, IDL or Python.
- Possess the decision making and analytical skills necessary to work under limited direction and anticipate, analyze, and provide solutions to moderately complex to complex technical problems, while adhering to well-defined practices and procedures.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Advanced problem-solving and decision-making skills to anticipate, identify, and individually recommend appropriate actions and solutions in a timely, cost-effective manner independently, under minimal direction.
- Ability and significant experience meeting and leading schedule and deliverables for multiple concurrent projects with a range of priorities under minimal direction.
- Significant experience leading and collaborating with diverse technical teams to achieve goals.
- Advanced knowledge of and significant experience in complex systems engineering design and performance.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience supporting a 24/7 operations facility.
- Experience training and supervising Technicians.
- Experience in the fields of project management, project engineering, or systems engineering.
- Experience planning and directing work with technical objectives, estimating effort, setting milestones, and managing within designated budget.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now