Refine Search Clear All
Polymer Characterization and Formulation - Staff Scientist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 03/04/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Characterization and Formulation Staff Member to conduct polymer testing, resin scale up and documentation. You will conduct a full range of moderate to complex research in the areas of mechanical and rheological analysis, polymer compounding and ensuring feedstocks tracking and inventory management. This work will support the polymer additive manufacturing initiative at LLNL in the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will
- Verify structure-property relationships with respect to new and improved polymeric materials.
- Design and perform moderately complex materials characterization analyses including GPC, NMR, DSC, TGA and others.
- Assess the mechanical properties of polymeric materials with techniques such as rheometry, dynamic mechanical analysis, and tensile testing.
- Participate in the conception and design of new experiments that inform polymer feedstock selection.
- Collaborate with scientists in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Document results in a timely manner.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- BS in polymer science, materials science, organic chemistry, chemical engineering, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Practical experience with polymer characterization techniques and testing.
- Broad experience with polymeric materials.
- Broad hands on experience in laboratory environment.
- Ability to work independently on defined research projects and conduct directed research with limited direction.
- Experience operating computers to collect, analyze, and document scientific results.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to document research results, and to prepare and present proposals, papers, and reports to internal and external audiences.
- Proficient interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
Qualifications We Desire
- MSc. in polymer science, materials science, organic chemistry, chemical engineering or a related field.
- Willingness and ability to provide data for proposals to gain funding for either feasibility or long-term studies.
- Willingness to engage and contribute to our inclusive lab culture.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now