Refine Search Clear All
Physics Laboratory Technologist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 03/04/2021
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
The Physics Division has an opening for a Physics Laboratory Technologist to support the High-Pressure Physics Group of the Condensed Matter Section of the Physics Division. You will have the opportunity to maintain and develop new enhancements to High-Pressure instrumentation and associated infrastructure. You will participate in preparation, handling and packaging of actinide materials. Occasionally you will work with radiological and nuclear materials and safeguard these materials using appropriate containment protocols.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Design, fabricate, maintain, assemble and disassemble basic high-pressure instrumentation components and systems.
- Work from drawings and verbal instructions to assemble and test various instrumentation designs.
- Complete work on a time schedule with multiple deadlines.
- Assist in preparing experimental cells containing radioactive samples and ship them in accordance with Department of Transportation (DOT) and Department of Energy (DOE) regulations.
- Provide basic technical support to multiple physicists preparing and coordinating their target delivery dates including preparing experimental cells, installing triple-seal containment, performing basic contamination control monitoring and coordination with the shipping department.
- Apply a fundamental knowledge of design and fabrication techniques to solve a variety of experimental instrumentation challenges of limited complexity.
- Set up equipment, perform general troubleshooting, maintenance and minor modifications of laboratory hardware including high pressure systems.
- Routinely inspect laboratories paying close attention to safety and housekeeping.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Originate new instrumentation designs and features to address experimental challenges of moderate complexity.
- Directly participate in experimental activities including preparation, execution and post-experiment analysis and summary.
- Draft safety documentation and procedures.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s (BS/BA) or Associate’s (AA/AS) degree in a science or engineering field with an emphasis on mechanical systems, or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Fundamental understanding of machine tool technology and operation of conventional machine tools, and inspection techniques.
- Basic technical skills and knowledge of science and engineering principles to solve problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Experience designing basic mechanical and structural components and systems.
- Basic knowledge of high-pressure systems.
- Experience operating computers to collect data, analyze result and document/present conclusions.
- Proficient verbal and written communications skills.
- Experience working efficiently in a multidisciplinary team environment.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Ability to work under limited supervision to provide original and innovative solutions to designs of experimental, research and prototype equipment.
- Ability to work with others and multi-task assignments.
- Comprehensive knowledge of fundamentals of radiation, radioactive sources, radiation detectors and radiation safety protocols.
Qualifications We Desire
- Ability to provide general technical support and troubleshooting to resolve moderately complex device and system problems using established guidelines, techniques and procedures.
- Utilize CAD software (SolidWorks or ProE) to produce 3D models and generate detailed drawings for fabrication.
- Design, fabricate, maintain, assemble and disassemble moderately complex mechanical components and systems including planning, selecting material and equipment and determining solutions.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now