Refine Search Clear All
Mechanical Test Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/04/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for a Mechanical Test Engineer in the Test Group. You will conduct experimental testing on a variety of projects related to: environmental testing, modal analysis, health monitoring, aging studies, data acquisition, load testing, general instrumentation, and measurement diagnostics. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Conduct tests on mechanical and/or diagnostic systems, analyze results, and author reports, under limited direction.
- Conduct experimental modal analyses and correlate results with dynamic finite element (FE) models.
- Operate test equipment (shaker systems, shock machines, thermal chambers, etc.) using fundamental knowledge of best test and measurement practices.
- Prepare supporting safety and engineering documentation and participate in formal engineering design reviews.
- Perform supporting engineering calculations for structural, thermal, and diagnostic systems.
- Participate in the detail design process, component part fabrication, and unit assembly.
- Provide solutions to problems of limited complexity that require the evaluation of readily identifiable factors using standard techniques and methodologies.
- Interface with peers both internal and external to the organization to complete various tasks.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the SES.3 Level
- Guide the completion of projects and conduct technical tasks and/or set specific technical strategy and direction for self and/or others.
- Work as a technical expert on a multidisciplinary team and monitor or direct activities of technical staff as lead of a technical project.
- Represent the organization as the primary technical contact on tasks and projects.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge and/or experience in one or more of the following areas: vibration and shock measurements, experimental modal and dynamic analysis, general instrumentation (i.e. accelerometers, strain gages, thermo-couples, resistance thermal detectors (RTD’s), capacitance gages, laser vibrometers, pressure sensors, etc.), general data acquisition theory (Nyquist criterion, anti-aliasing, etc.).
- Comprehensive knowledge of experimental modal and dynamic analyses, testing practices, and data processing.
- Comprehensive knowledge of engineering hardware design and fabrication.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and/or experience with design principles.
- Experience using Matlab programming and data analysis including use of digital filters and when to apply them.
- Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team and government regulated environment.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
In Addition at the SES.3 Level
- Advanced knowledge of measurement sensors and an understanding of when to use specific sensors for certain applications.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present and explain technical information, and provide advice to management.
- Experience with environment definition and test specification development.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master's degree or PhD in Mechanical Engineering.
- Knowledgeable in the use and operation of laser doppler vibrometry systems.
- Proficient in operating and interpreting data from mechanical load frames.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now