Refine Search Clear All
Boiler & Pressure System Mechanic II
Craft and Skilled Labor | livermore, CA | 03/04/2021
Job Code: 863.2 Boiler & Pressure Sys Mech II
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have openings for Boiler & Pressure Systems Mechanic II's. You will install, operate, maintain, and repair a combination of packaged boilers associated with the building HVAC (heating hot water and low-pressure steam), process steam, related operating systems, and utilities of the LLNL plant and research facilities. You will work independently and interact as a member of a multi-disciplinary team. This position may be located at LLNL main site (Site 200) or at Site 300 in Tracy, California. This position is in the Infrastructure Maintenance and Utilities Department.
In this role you will
- Perform journey-level boiler technician work including troubleshooting, installation, operations/operator, and maintenance and repair of hot water boilers, low-pressure steam boilers, thermal fluid systems, medium pressure steam generating equipment (including ASME Section l steam boilers), Low NOx burners, and related systems and components; to include combustion tuning, Burner Management System programming, and steam boiler water treatment testing.
- Install, operate, maintain, and repair a wide variety of mechanical and electrical equipment using materials, power tools, hand tools, and specialty tools applicable to the trade.
- Provide effective customer service and communication necessary to interact well with a multi-disciplinary team, including coworkers, supervisors, building clients, ES&H (Environmental, Safety, and Health) technicians, and other crafts personnel.
- Analyze complex data and prepare logs (boiler and water treatment), standard reports, permit requirements, deficiency forms, and preventive maintenance work requests.
- Use a computer and hand-held electronic device for completing daily work orders, time reporting and web-based training.
- Work scheduled and emergency overtime.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent.
- Completion of an apprenticeship training program and/or significant equivalent journey- to advanced- level experience working with a combination of commercial packaged boilers as well as low and high-pressure steam systems. May require High Pressure Installer/Inspector certification for instruments, specialty gases, and cryogenics.
- Intermediate to advanced skills, knowledge and experience related to troubleshooting, operating and maintaining steam boilers, hot water boilers, thermal fluid heaters, and related systems, (e.g. expansion tanks, pumps, valves, water treatment, PLC based burner management systems, and electrical components) including basic electrical knowledge for AC circuits and DC circuits.
- Experience using hand tools, power tools and instruments of the trade such as Combustion Analyzer, Manometer, electrical metering, circuit testing equipment, and water treatment testing equipment.
- Customer service and interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively in writing and verbally with technical, administrative and management personnel.
- Basic computer skills and skill with hand-held electronic devices necessary to complete work orders, time reporting and web-based training.
- Ability to work effectively independently and as a team member.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid California Class C Driver’s License, become medically qualified to wear respiratory and personal protection equipment, and work scheduled and emergency overtime, and travel or be assigned to Site 300 in Tracy, California.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Davis Bacon Act
The Laboratory performs a variety of work, including some that may fall under Davis Bacon Act requirements. When work scope falls under this Act, the Laboratory complies with the prevailing wage requirements.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
Employee Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed through the following link.Apply Now