Refine Search Clear All
HEAF Technical Supervisor
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/04/2021
Job Code: 390.1 Supervisor / 390.2 Senior Supervisor
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Technical Supervisor/Technical Contributor. You will perform a complete range of both programmatic activities and administrative management of technical staff in support of the Initiation Systems Group (ISG). ISG is responsible for designing, prototyping, and testing of detonators, safing, and firing systems in support of our nation’s nuclear stockpile. This position will be located at the High Explosives Applications Facility (HEAF) with periodic travel to other NNSA/DOE sites. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED) within the Engineering Directorate and supports the Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) Program.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will:
- Provide direct administrative supervision to mechanical, electronics, and operations staff, and other matrixed support personnel in performance evaluation, peer grouping, and salary management processes.
- Provide technical leadership of the engineering design and fabrication process and ensure the quality is produced in adherence to standards.
- Create, maintain, and execute shot schedules for ISG experiments.
- Collaborate with the technical staff to apply innovative technical expertise on the definition of functional requirements, solve complex technical and resource problems, and evaluate alternative design concepts consistent with schedule, cost, and material limitations.
- Participate in planning, budgeting, decision making, and change processes.
- Maintain close working relationships with group leaders and program management to ensure timely, cost effective execution of supportive engineering services.
- Develop, prepare, present, and participate in required design reviews, reports, procedures, and other communications in support of technical and administrative assignments.
- Foster staff development and participate in hiring activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the 390.2 Level
- Provide highly advanced technical and related administrative expertise in the areas of applied engineering technology including planning, design, fabrication, project support, testing, and evaluation where the qualitative and quantitative complexity of the project assignment demands original and innovative problem solutions.
- Represent division and program at meetings, briefings, and other activities both internal and external to the Laboratory.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering Technology or an equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
- Experience providing administrative and technical leadership through the effective utilization of people and resources.
- Significant experience in engineering project leadership, including work planning, scheduling, drawing requirements, and reporting available.
- Familiarity with Work Planning and Control processes and documentation.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills to interact effectively with people at all levels and ensure that program requirements are conveyed in a timely manner.
- Ability to obtain and maintain certification as a Mechanical Competent Worker.
- Ability to travel.
In Addition at the 390.2 Level
- Extensive experience working in multidisciplinary teams.
- Substantial experience making independent fundamental decisions regarding highly complex technical problems.
- Extensive experience meeting project requirements and deadlines.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience preparing performance appraisals and participating in ranking and salary processes.
- Experience with design, testing, and handling of high explosives or high explosives assemblies.
- Experience with capacitive discharge units (CDU), electronic firing systems, or high-speed diagnostics.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now