Refine Search Clear All
Laser Electro-Optic Technologist (LEOT) - Optical Science Laser
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/04/2021
Job Code: 531.2 Technologist-Electronics / 531.3 Sr Technologist-Electronics
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Laser Electro-Optic Technologist (LEOT) - Optical Science Laser. You provide general technical support to the design, development, evaluation, documentation, modification, maintenance, troubleshooting, and operations in support of Optical Science Laser Facility (OSL) for the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide laser electro-optics technical and design integration support to scientists, engineers, and designers in support of the Optical Science Laser Facility.
- Perform work utilizing well understood guidelines, techniques, and procedures, including setting priorities under general supervision.
- Schedule and prepare for shot operations.
- Perform periodic maintenance activities on diagnostics. Responsibilities include performance evaluation, calibration (offline and online), troubleshooting moderately complex technical problems, advanced data analysis, data archiving, and test report preparation.
- Configure various tabletop optical arrangements that support imaging and/or electro-optical laser-based configuration, including standard spectrometer systems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 531.3 level
- Analyze complex system performance of high energy laser technology and processes and present data to a peer review team with recommendations.
- Interpret requirements for opto-mechanical assemblies, precision laser alignment and tolerancing of laser/optical systems under minimal supervision.
- Serve as a technical lead for engineering principles to solve complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate degree in Electrical Engineering Technology, Laser Electro-Optics, Physics or the equivalent combination of education and prior relevant experience.
- Experience in and detailed knowledge of electronic assembly.
- Intermediate skills and knowledge of electro-mechanical technology, including general electronics background in both theory and design while applying the knowledge of electronics, software, instrumentation and controls, or electro-optic theory and ability to solve moderately complex circuitry or system challenges.
- Intermediate skills and understanding of moderately complex electronic design, fabrication, and opto-mechanical mechanisms as well as advanced data analysis.
- Experience in safe work and business practices.
- Experience working effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Possess effective written, verbal, and presentation communication skills.
Additional qualifications at the 531.3 level
- Advanced skills and understanding of high energy laser technology and processes with the ability to design complex systems and solutions to problems under minimal supervision.
- Advanced skills and understanding of complex opto-mechanical assemblies, precision laser alignment and tolerancing including advanced technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Advanced skills and understanding of photonics/laser technologies.
- Advanced laser alignment trouble shooting skills.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with engineering software tools such as SolidWorks, CREO, LabView or MATLAB
- Experience with Configuration Management concepts.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now