Refine Search Clear All
Mechanical Technologist/Sr. Mechanical Technologist
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/04/2021
Job Code: 533.2 Technologist-Mechanical / 533.3 Sr Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Mechanical Technologist/Senior Mechanical Technologist. You will provide technical support for experimental systems, including design and assembly, fixturing and mechanical modifications of existing systems, upgrading vacuum equipment, along with miscellaneous support on other mechanical systems. This position will support the Joining Group of the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide general technical support maintaining metal processing and experimental systems including installing and modifying vacuum components.
- Use 3D software to produce supportive graphics and documentation to design fixtures and subassemblies, then fabricate, assemble, and/or disassemble moderately complex mechanical components and systems.
- Operate conventional machine tools, such as lathes, mills, drill presses, saws, etc. to fabricate metal components.
- Assemble, install, and operate low pressure gas systems.
- Apply intermediate knowledge of relevant technologies and processes, including interpreting and utilizing laboratory equipment to solve system or mechanical problems.
- Work on atmospheric controlled components such as gloveboxes and operate experimental and diagnostic equipment as needed.
- Follow and adhere to written, operational, and safety procedures while completing job assignments.
- Work on systems that utilize radioactive materials, principally depleted uranium.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 533.3 level
- With minimal supervision, design, fabricate, assemble, and disassemble complex mechanical components and systems including planning and selecting materials, equipment, and methods.
- Conceptualize, design, and build mechanical systems for use in processing metal and alloy components.
- Install, calibrate, and maintain common gauges for measuring vacuum levels, pressure, and temperature for mechanical systems.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Associate’s degree in mechanical engineering technology or a related technology, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Intermediate understanding of vacuum technology, and associated materials.
- Experience in mechanical design and assembly of components and experience in machining, using hand tools, lathes, mills, band saws, and welding.
- Intermediate level of experience using CAD software such as Solid Works.
- Experience with engineering hardware design, fabrication, evaluation, and testing processes.
- Knowledge of office computer software, including word processing and spreadsheets necessary to produce supportive documentation and graphics.
- Experience working in a multidisciplinary team environment and demonstrated effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience using solvents, and chemicals associated with use in machine shops, and cleaning of vacuum equipment.
Additional qualifications at the 533.3 level
- High level technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, procedures, and experience operating intricate technical software and systems.
- Ability to perform basic engineering calculations and analysis of data, and to read and follow complex assembly procedures, engineering notes, sketches, and drawings.
- Effective written and verbal communication, interpersonal, and teamwork skills, including feedback and presentation skills to all levels of management, technical, engineering, and scientific staff.
- Familiarity with instrumentation such as gauging for vacuum systems, temperature, and pressure measurement techniques.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now