Refine Search Clear All
Metal Fabricator/ Plater
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/04/2021
Job Code: 971.2 Metal Fabricator II / 971.3 Metal Fabricator III
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for a Metal Fabricator/ Plater to support our Metal Finishing Group. You will provide journey level technical support for electrochemical, chemical and materials processing. You will work with project leaders to determine priorities, schedules and labor requirements performing electrochemical, chemical, and materials processing by formulating and analyzing chemical processing solutions and applying coatings and treatments from these solutions to a variety of materials per drawings specifications or customer verbal instructions. This role may require occasional shift flexibility and overtime to meet group objectives. This position is in the Manufacturing Engineering Section (MES) of the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide general journey level support for electro plating functions including hard anodizing, color anodizing, plating (Nickel, Copper, Zinc, Lead, Tin, Silver, Gold), electro-polishing, and cleaning for high vacuum.
- Recognizes effects of unbalanced solutions.
- Conduct Metal Finishing operations, including plating tank chemical analysis, maintenance and documentation, ES&H systems, and chemical supplies and storage.
- Independently identify, analyze, and provide solutions and alternate approaches to moderately complex processing problems using individual creativity and judgment under general supervision including the design and manufacture of moderately complex fixtures need for the plating process; may also include shop maintenance installations or modifications to plating tanks, changing filters, pumps, hoses, and plumbing.
- Perform stripping operations on coated parts exercising care and skill to preserve close tolerance contours and finishes.
- Interact with customers to determine priorities and schedules, provide moderately complex work and technical guidance to others, and check the work for quality and completeness.
- Perform technical calculations and analyze effectiveness of plating and cleaning processes, processing schedule and waste generation.
- Use analytical tools, software and other LLNL resources as tools to assist in the execution of assigned duties.
- Provide technical support for waste minimization activities, environmental safety & health related documentation and inspections. Ensuring all hazardous waste material is disposed of correctly.
- Perform general Wastewater Treatment operations.
- Work with and around high explosives, carcinogenic, toxic, and corrosive chemicals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 971.3 level
- Provide advanced, senior journey level support for metal finishing group.
- Determine and apply unique R&D plating applications to complex manufacturing processes, independently, under minimal supervision.
- Approach work from a strategic standpoint, making and implementing recommendations for increased efficiencies.
- Reports equipment concerns, submit maintenance work orders as necessary and appropriate; follows up to verify that issues are properly addressed.
- Submit procurement orders communicating with vendors.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Associate degree in chemistry or related discipline including intermediate to advanced journey level skills or equivalent completion of an apprenticeship program in the metal finishing trade with additional fabrication-related shop experience, or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Intermediate knowledge of plating industry processes such as hard anodizing; color anodizing, plating (Nickel, Copper, Zinc, Lead, Tin, Silver, Gold), electro-polishing, and cleaning for high vacuum: also intermediate skills in manufacturing moderately complex fixtures needed for the plating process.
- Intermediate math and analytical skills to perform moderately complex chemical calculations and analysis of plating bathes and process waste characterization.
- Intermediate equipment design and maintenance skills and knowledge including working with and proper storage of chemicals.
- Intermediate computer skills in MS Excel and associated analytical software programs.
- Ability to work with high value, delicate workpieces.
- Ability to work in a high-paced R&D team environment including experience making commitments to fulfill project milestones.
Additional qualifications at the 971.3 level
- Advanced, senior level journey skill set and experience in a metal finishing trade.
- Advanced skills and knowledge needed to support and improve complex manufacturing processes.
- Experience working with unique R&D plating applications, various Metal Finishing Manufacturing processes, including exotic materials.
Qualifications We Desire
- Working knowledge of chemical wet analysis.
- Experience with industry standards such as ASTM, ISO 9001:2008.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now