Refine Search Clear All
Mechanical Design Associate/Senior Mechanical Design Associate
Engineering | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: 334.1 Engineering Design Associate / 339.2 Senior Eng Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
The National Security Engineering Division (NSED) of the Engineering Directorate has an opening for a Mechanical Designer/ Senior Mechanical Designer in support of the Integrated Engineering and Design Group (IE&DG). This group supports a wide variety of customers and projects including Physical and Life Sciences (PLS), Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI), Global Security (GS), accelerator technologies, high-energy physics, energy, and others. The current opening will be with an accelerator project that is in support of the stockpile stewardship program. There will be frequent contact outside of the design group, and external to LLNL. This position is in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide innovative conceptual engineering design and development designs/proposals by preparing or directing others to generate initial layouts.
- Direct the design of apparatus, equipment, assemblies, facilities, utilities, and systems by interpreting and translating design concepts and layouts for the solution of complex and variable technical problems.
- Check drawings (form, fit, and function) rigorously against all applicable standards, specifications, and policies for completeness, clarity, and dimensional accuracy; perform tolerance analysis and stack-ups; Provide feedback and recommendations of drawing and design improvements.
- Interrogate assemblies/models validating design layouts and drawing documentation using CAD systems in adherence to LLNL drafting standards, CAD modeling practices, PDM requirements, specifications, and program requirements and standards.
- Collaborate with Project Management/Scientific staff and the Design team to provide timely interpretation and analysis of comprehensive design staff metrics; monitor team’s performance to ensure programmatic milestones and deliverables are met.
- Maintain and develop professional relationships with staff and program management to ensure timely, cost effective execution of supportive design/drafting services; participate in mentoring opportunities with team members by coaching early career staff and learning from experienced team members.
- Direct Designers/Drafters through the various phases of the design/drafting/archival process as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 339.2 level
- Provide highly advanced technical and related Lead expertise in the areas of applied engineering technology including planning, design, fabrication, project support, testing, and evaluation where the qualitative and quantitative complexity of the project assignment demands original and innovative problem solutions.
- Provide division and programmatic representation at meetings, briefings, and other activities both internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Design, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience in mechanical design checking.
- Significant experience with engineering hardware design, fabrication, assembly techniques, materials, testing processes, and manufacturing methods.
- Advanced knowledge of CREO CAD and PTC Windchill (PDMLink) database management software.
- Advanced knowledge of the standards, procedures, and techniques related to drafting and/or advanced knowledge of ASME Y14.5M Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing Standard.
- Advanced understanding of function, fabrication, processes, and packaging of electronic systems and/or mechanical hardware.
- Experience identifying design deficiencies and recommending revisions in design layout to responsible engineers or designers.
- Advanced written, verbal and feedback communication and presentation skills.
Additional qualifications at the 339.2 level
- Extensive design experience with accelerator technologies and high/ultra-high vacuum design
- Highly advanced communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, and advise sponsors, management, and collaborators.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of LLNL drafting, procurement, and fabrication process.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
ll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.Apply Now Referral