Refine Search Clear All
Senior Manufacturing Machinist-Technologist
Engineering | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: 981.3 Senior Machinist II
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Senior Manufacturing Machinist-Technologist. You will manufacture components to extremely tight tolerances using the latest CNC equipment. You will be working with Engineers and Designers directly to identify their design intent. You will be part of an exciting R&D prototype manufacturing environment. This position is in the Materials Engineering Division.
In this role you will
- Provide advanced manufacturing process and programming support for various manufacturing work centers within the Manufacturing Engineering Section.
- Set up and operate all conventional and most moderately complex precision and CNC machine such as Mori Seiki, Mitsui Seiki, Okuma, SIP, Hardinge, Roku-Roku, DMG Mori with FANUC controllers.
- Handle and manage classified documents, parts, and systems.
- Operate related precision shop equipment, hand tools, and measuring instruments.
- Perform shop math calculations utilizing advanced knowledge of material characteristics to achieve ultra-precision finishes, dimensions, and overall design intent.
- Design and fabricate complex fixtures and jigs to be used during a variety of manufacturing processes.
- Establish and plan techniques and procedures to carry out complex technical assignments and set task priorities.
- Mentor or train conventional, CNC machining, and safety practices to others.
- Solve complex technical problems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to perform complex machining calculations and operations involving conventional and CNC machine tools, also related manufacturing, and measuring equipment.
- Advanced knowledge of ASME Y14.5M drafting standards (read and interpret blueprints and electronic models) to produce precision components and assemblies.
- Advanced knowledge of a wide variety of materials and manufacturing processes including difficult to machine and exotic materials.
- Advanced knowledge of metrology practices in a precision manufacturing environment.
- Ability to identify, analyze, and provide solutions or alternate approaches to manufacturing problems using individual judgment and creativity.
- Advanced level knowledge of CNC programming, machining, planning, and estimating.
- Understanding of safety awareness and safe working practices. Ability to become medically qualified to wear respiratory and protection equipment.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills necessary to communicate tactfully and effectively in a technical environment.
Qualifications we desire
- Familiarity with handling classified documents, classified parts, and classified removable electronic media.
- Familiarity with MasterCam and/or Pro-E-Creo CNC programming.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral