Refine Search Clear All
Design Physics Division Associate Division Leader
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: TSM.1 Technical Manager 1
Organization: Weapons and Complex Integ
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for an Associate Division Leader (ADL)
Within the Design Physics Division (DPD), you will provide leadership and oversight to your section, consisting of approximately five to eight group leaders and about thirty to sixty staff members and postdocs who provide discipline expertise to the broad array of program areas in WCI and other LLNL Programs. This position is within the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate and reports to a Deputy Division Leader.
In this job you will
• Provide technical leadership to an interdisciplinary section, determine staffing requirements, and strategically invest in Division personnel to develop an agile, motivated and well-trained workforce ensuring the highest-quality personnel are recruited and retained.
• Identify and execute Division long-term goals, including the DPD strategic plan, as an active participant on the division’s management team.
• Provide discipline expertise for nuclear weapon related physics that includes primary and secondary nuclear design, ICF design, hydro experiments and simulation code computational physics.
• Actively mentor, motivate and coach section Group Leaders (GLs) in career planning, technical development and growth as line managers.
• Conduct DPD ranking & salary management processes.
• Partner with specific program(s) to strategically understand their staffing needs and deliver both new and experienced staff to support them.
• Recruit, interview, and hire new workforce to meet the evolving needs of LLNL Programs in collaboration with the DPD Senior Management Team.
• Actively lead section workforce planning, quality assurance, mentoring, training, reclassification and employee development.
· Recognize, create, and implement plans to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion within section and division.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• PhD in Physics, Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
• Extensive knowledge of the weapons program or other relevant LLNL Programs and of technical research topics relevant to weapon physics and supporting technologies.
• Expert leadership and strategic management experience, including personnel management, in a high-technology research and development environment.
• Knowledge of and extensive experience applying personnel policy and procedures and demonstrated ability to apply this knowledge and understanding in a wide array of situations dealing with staff.
• Extensive experience leading innovative initiatives, building cooperative multi-institutional, multi-disciplinary teams and interacting, negotiating, and sustaining relationships with management, multidisciplinary teams, other divisions and directorates, external collaborators, and sponsors.
• Extensive experience in decision-making and the leadership skills necessary to work independently, to work effectively in a team environment, and to oversee the work of others.
• Extensive experience effectively delegating and to lead, motivate, and build highly complex teams to work toward short- and long-term programmatic goals.
• Expert communication skills, both written and verbal, necessary to effectively explain, present, negotiate, advise and influence all levels of management.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Apply Now Referral