Refine Search Clear All
Engineering | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: 533.2 Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Mechanical Technologist to provide general technical support to various operations of new and on-going experiments involving engineering evaluation, fabrication, assembly, and documentation for various programs. These operations and experiments may involve working with radioactive/fissile materials and other hazardous materials, and classified parts and documents to support programmatic experiments. Work may involve Beryllium, radioactive/fissile materials, other hazardous materials, and classified parts and documents. This position is in the Materials Engineering Division, in support of Advanced Materials, Manufacturing and Processing Technologies within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Collaborate in a team to design, fabricate, maintain, assemble, and disassemble of mechanical components and systems. Work from drawings and verbal instructions to assemble and test various mechanical designs.
- Setup and operate mechanical equipment, requiring general knowledge of manufacturing processes. Assist with mechanical diagnostic calibration and alignment, test prior to experiment execution, and perform data recovery after experiment execution. Setup equipment, general troubleshooting, maintenance, and minor modifications of simple hardware.
- Apply general knowledge of mechanical systems to resolve a variety of moderately complex mechanical problems.
- Independently identify, analyze, and evaluate, and report results of mechanical problems using individual creativity and judgment.
- Collaborate in a team to deploy, fabricate, troubleshoot, assemble, and disassemble manufacturing systems, including multi-axis and 3D printing equipment.
- Provide general machine tool set up with a general understanding of G-Code.
- Assist in developing test parameters, troubleshooting, and testing materials, components, or systems, identifying problems, and providing input on solutions, under minimal supervision.
- Maintain a high level of safety awareness while working in the laboratories and adhere to written safety procedures. Ensure support and experimental areas are kept clean, uncluttered, and in a state of readiness.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Associate degree in an engineering technology field such as mechanical, industrial, or manufacturing, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience in fabrication and design of mechanical components and systems.
- General understanding of manufacturing technologies and processes which may include experience operating 5 axis or additive manufacturing machinery.
- Intermediate technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Experience collaborating effectively in a team under dynamic priorities.
- Experience designing mechanical components and systems.
- Ability to maintain documentation relating to experimental assemblies and process.
- Effective verbal and written communications skills.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in 3D CAD, machining, mechanical assembly, and electrical troubleshooting.
- Experience in the operation of precision systems/ mechanisms.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral