Refine Search Clear All
Experimental Chemist - Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 01/25/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research in support of fundamental and applied research. The appointee will perform coupled chemical and mechanical experiments, integrating a range of analytical methods, to understand the complex mechanisms involving reactive transport and their effects on material properties. We are looking for applicants interested in joining a diverse team of scientists who are investigating the complex chemistry and dynamics of materials for material science and earth science applications. This position is in the Atmospheric Earth and Energy Division.
- Conduct fundamental and applied research characterizing ceramics, glasses, polymers minerals, and metals using analytical chemistry and mechanical experiments
- Independently plan, design, and execute experiments.
- Develop new experimental setups and procedures as required.
- Publish research results in technical reports and peer-reviewed journals. Present technical results at scientific conferences.
- Work independently, as well as in diverse multidisciplinary teams, to accomplish research goals.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- PhD in Chemistry, Geochemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering, Materials Science, or a related field.
- Expertise in the field of analytical chemistry
- Hands-on experience with a variety of characterization techniques (e.g. XRCT, DSC, TGA, NMR, FTIR).
- Knowledge of data processing and analysis techniques
- Ability as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of skills in experimental design, techniques, and execution.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills to collaborate effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications we desire
- Experience in the specific area of surface science, mineralogy, inorganic and organic materials and mechanochemistry and designing and engineering experiments.
- Experience integrating experimental results with computational modeling
- Experience writing proposals, securing funding, and establishing independent research projects.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral