Refine Search Clear All
Experimental Nuclear or Particle Physics Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 01/24/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research on the fundamental nature of the neutrino within the Nuclear and Particle Physics group, in the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division. You will develop concepts and make independent contributions to our neutrino and nuclear science experimental work, with a primary focus on research and development for the nEXO neutrinoless double beta decay experiment that aims to understand the quantum nature of the neutrino.
The LLNL group plays a central role in the nEXO project, with LLNL scientists and engineers leading multiple high-visibility efforts including the Computing, Control and Software subsystem and the large cryostat and cryogenic subsystems. LLNL also hosts nEXO’s large high-voltage test stand which provides unique opportunities to understand HV instabilities in LXe and test innovative solutions for nEXO’s cryogenic and control. The successful candidate can expect to take an active leadership role in these activities, as well as being encouraged to pursue their own ideas in support of advancing neutrinoless double beta decay search with nEXO. This position is in the Nuclear and Particle Physics group of the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division.
In this role you will:
- Perform independent research and provide solutions for experimental physics questions.
- Creatively identify opportunities to maximize nEXO’s physics reach and experimental reliability.
- Develop simulations of nEXO’s sensor response and integrate this work into comprehensive detector performance studies.
- Take an active role in building the foundation of LLNL’s analysis of nEXO data.
- Lead the commissioning and research activities on the large nEXO high-voltage test-bed being constructed at LLNL.
- In coordination with the scientists and engineers of the nEXO team at LLNL, design and perform R&D measurements to understand the origin of high voltage instabilities in liquid xenon.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in experimental nuclear or particle physics or related field, though not necessarily in the area of neutrino physics or double beta decay.
- Knowledge in one or more of the following areas: particle detector R&D, rare event detection techniques, noble liquids cryogenic systems, high voltage, slow control systems, data acquisition.
- Experience with a modern programming language (e.g. C++, Python), and with ROOT, GEANT4 or other software for data analysis or MonteCarlo simulations.
- Expertise in sophisticated physics analysis and techniques, including statistics, data science, and/or machine learning approaches
- Ability to work independently on complex technical tasks, exert influence on technical objectives, provide analyses, and develop unique technical solutions.
- Ability to work independently as well as in multidisciplinary research teams.
- Fundamental interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff.
- Fundamental written and verbal communication skills necessary to deliver presentations and prepare written reports.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral