Refine Search Clear All
Engineering | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for a Micro/Nanofabrication Engineer to work in our Micro & Nano Technology Section (MNTS). These roles will provide leadership, guidance and support of projects in a multi-user facility navigating the complexities of novel process and material use across a broad tool set with a varied user base. Engineers are needed who can adeptly navigate varied project goals, individuals and timelines, novel process development and risk mitigation across shared tool use. You will collaborate with a team of engineers, scientists, and technicians to offer design solutions, facilitate effective fabrication and processing, make decisions, and set directions for the near and medium term of micro and nanotechnology at LLNL. These positions are in the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Determine and implement complex mechanical design solutions to sensing needs across multiple programs.
- Offer technical solutions to complex mechanical problems under minimal direction.
- Collaborate with researchers throughout LLNL to deliver timely solutions for measurement, test, and deployment across a variety of sponsor platforms.
- Plan and execute experiments involving the fabrication and characterization of complex designed micro and macro materials, devices and systems which may include semiconductors, microelectromechanical systems, photonics, bio-implantable devices, or other relevant technology.
- Work within a dynamic team contributing independently and applying significant knowledge and skills to all aspects of device and system development.
- Document research and publish results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meetings.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.4 level
- Lead multi-disciplinary engineering and scientific teams.
- Develop strategy and lead the final decision-making process for capital equipment purchases.
- Oversee projects and interact with customers to define programmatic needs and offer appropriate solutions to diverse problem statements.
- Master’s degree in Engineering, Applied Science, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Significant experience with complex microfabrication in one of more of the following areas:
semiconductors, microelectromechanical systems, photonics, bio-implantable devices, or other relevant technology.
- Advanced problem-solving skills and the ability to work independently to execute design solutions to engineering problems.
- Advanced knowledge and skills in microfabrication processes (such as lithography, sputtering, e-beam, thermal evaporation, lapping and polishing, wet and dry etching techniques, wire, and wafer bonding).
- Significant experience implementing and maintaining complex quality control processes for micro and/or nano technology, including researching and recommending purchase improvements.
- Significant experience multi-tasking and collaborating on competing priorities, effectively execute in multiple roles.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills as reflected in prior presentations of technical information at seminars, meetings and/or teaching lectures.
- Strong initiative and interpersonal skills with ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Experience leading teams consisting of engineers, scientists, and technicians.
- Experience leading final decision-making process for capital equipment purchases.
- Extensive experience overseeing process improvements and problem solving to manage highly complex laboratory facilities.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in Engineering, Applied Science, or related field.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral