Refine Search Clear All
Cybersecurity Penetration Tester
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have openings for Cybersecurity Penetration Testers to conduct comprehensive penetration testing of LLNL networks, devices, computers, web applications and cloud-delivered services. This position is within the Information Technology Solutions Division (ITSD) of the Computing Directorate and matrixed to the Cyber Security Program (CSP), in support of the Livermore Information Technology (LivIT) Program.
This position will be filled at either level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Develop processes, techniques, and procedures for performing penetration assessments.
- Perform network, system, web application, client application and cloud application penetration tests on internal and external systems as well as systems on air-gapped networks.
- Provide penetration testing support including troubleshooting and resolution of issues.
- Create and manage processes, systems, and tools exercising a high degree of responsibility.
- Serve as a penetration testing technical point of contact and interact with internal and external personnel.
- Perform technical assessments, document actions, findings, and make remediation recommendations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 Level
- Manage multiple complex parallel tasks and priorities of customers and stakeholders, ensuring deadlines are met, while leveraging team member skills.
- Develop advanced methods, tools and procedures to improve penetration testing capabilities and automate various complex tasks.
- Mentor and provide technical guidance to team members in penetration testing best practices and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of computer and network technologies and Windows, Linux/UNIX and/or Apple hardware and operating systems, cloud service technologies and security requirements.
- Experience with programming or scripting languages such as C, C#, Python, Java, PowerShell and PHP.
- Experience with NMAP, Wireshark, and Burp Suite Pen Tester or other cybersecurity tools.
- Proficient written and verbal communication, strong interpersonal skills, ability to collaborate in a multi-disciplinary team environment and to interact with all levels of management and staff.
- Ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with conflicting priorities, to approach difficult problems with enthusiasm and creativity and to change focus when necessary, with experience working independently.
- Current penetration testing certification such as GIAC Certified Penetration Tester (GPEN), GIAC Web Application Penetration Tester (GWAPT), GIAC Exploit Researcher and Advanced Penetration Tester (GXPN).
- Ability to work off-hours and on-call to respond to incidents (intermittently, either as-needed or as part of a rotation).
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 Level
- Significant penetration testing and technical experience with Linux or Windows operating systems, networks, and/or related hardware.
- Significant knowledge and experience with programming or scripting languages such as C, C#, Python, Java, PowerShell and PHP.
- Advanced ability to provide innovative approaches and apply new technologies to tasks and projects that may not be well defined.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent level of knowledge.
- Significant penetration testing experience, including cloud services such as AWS/Azure.
- Knowledge of LLNL’s Cyber Security policies, processes and requirements.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral