Refine Search Clear All
Summer Law Clerk Intern
Legal | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: 705.2 Grad Student R&D/Technical
Organization: Office of the Director
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None, but work must be performed by a U.S. person (e.g., U.S. citizen or permanent resident and certain others). Also, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation.
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a law student who has completed his or her second year of law school to serve as a Law Clerk in the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) Office of General Counsel (OGC) for up to 12 weeks during summer 2021.
The OGC is comprised of ten experienced attorneys, as well as other legal professionals, who represent the Laboratory across a wide spectrum of practice areas. You can anticipate assignments in any of the substantive areas relevant to operation of the Laboratory: e.g., litigation; business transactions; environmental, health and safety; government contracts; patent prosecution and intellectual property; export law; employment law; and more.
In this role you will
- Research and draft legal memoranda and other documents; compile, summarize and analyze factual material.
- Perform legal research to gather relevant rules, regulations and case law in all areas of law.
- Prepare drafts of transactional legal documents and analyze legal implications of proposed contractual language.
- May interact with outside counsel, representatives of state and federal agencies, universities and private companies.
- Meet with Laboratory representatives to gather information to support the provision of legal advice and to learn about operations and legal matters at the Laboratory.
- Prepare and possibly present materials on legal and factual issues for varied audiences.
- Other general law assignments
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be currently enrolled in the second year of studies at an ABA-accredited law school.
- Completed a BS or BA Degree.
- Excellent writing and analytical skills.
- Experience performing legal and factual research.
- Experience writing memoranda documenting legal and factual research and analysis.
- Experience interpreting and applying state and federal laws, regulations, court rules and procedures.
- Experience accomplishing multiple tasks and resolving conflicting priorities.
- Experience demonstrating attention to detail, discretion, and judgment and tact in handling legal issues.
- Experience communicating effectively with all levels of employees and outside entities.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working successfully as part of a team.
- Interest and enthusiasm in learning about areas of law that may be unfamiliar.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral