Refine Search Clear All
Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division - Graduate Student Intern
Students | livermore, CA | 01/24/2021
Job Code: 705.2 Grad Student R&D/Technical / 712.0 Intern Exempt
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for graduate level students and for students who have received a bachelor’s or master’s degree to engage in practical research to further their educational goals. These are training opportunities to gain experience. You will provide technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of Chemical and Isotopic Signatures, Computational Nuclear Physics; Experimental Nuclear, Stockpile and Environmental Radiochemistry; Experimental Nuclear Physics; Forensic Science & Assessments; High Energy Accelerator Physics; Nuclear Security Physics; Nuclear Theory and Modeling; Rare Event Detection; and Safeguards, Non-Proliferation and Response. These positions are in the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division.
In this role you will
- Students will work with engineers, scientists, and technical staff members to provide technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of computational chemistry and physics, radiochemistry, nuclear and high energy accelerated physics, nuclear theory and modeling, nuclear forensics, or other related fields.
- Under limited direction and supervision will conduct research in assigned area.
- Gather and analyze data or information in support of scientific research.
- Present/communicate results to research group.
- Perform technical assignments of an advanced degree of complexity and provide advanced technical support to scientist in scientific research and development projects.
- Attend relevant seminars.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing a graduate degree or has completed their bachelor’s or master’s degree in physics, material sciences, computer science or a related field; or a recent graduate within one year who has not yet begun graduate studies in physics, material sciences, computer science or a related field.
- Experience applying advanced engineering or scientific principles to solve technical problems.
- Ability to conduct research and present and communicate concepts and ideas including research project(s), document work and give a technical talk/presentation.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a team environment.
- Academic achievement in a scientific or engineering curriculum.
- Experience working with personal computers and familiarity with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Note: This is a Temporary Student Intern appointment. This assignment is for a full-time remote position during the summer academic break (June 7 – August 6, 2021). This program will be entirely virtual. Salaries are based on academic standing and compensation rates established by LLNL’s Human Resources department. Travel costs to and from LLNL are provided. Selected applicants will be required to provide transcripts and 1 letter of recommendation. Refer to the Scholar Program website at https://www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers/students for additional student employment information.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral