Refine Search Clear All
Global Security Summer Graduate Student Intern
Students | livermore, CA | 01/27/2021
Job Code: 705.2 Grad Student R&D/Technical / 712.0 Intern Exempt
Organization: Global Security
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
Global Security has multiple openings for graduate level students and students who have received a bachelor's or master's degree to engage in practical research to further their educational goals. The areas you may research will support United States (US) policy and decision makers in developing strategies for national and international security. Global Security (GS) applies multidisciplinary science and technology to anticipate, innovate, and deliver responsive solutions to complex global security needs. Particular focus is on the following areas: energy and homeland security, intelligence, cybersecurity, nuclear threat reduction, biosecurity, and forensic science.
In this role you will
- Work with scientists and engineers to provide research in the areas of remote sensing, sensor networks, radiation detection, seismic monitoring, bio detection, cyber security or interactive data mining.
- Under close supervision, will participate in research in assigned area.
- Gather and analyze the data or information in support of scientific research.
- Communicate research project(s) and documenting work.
- Under limited direction and supervision will conduct research in assigned area.
- Perform technical assignments of an advanced degree of complexity and provide advanced technical support to scientists in research and development projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing a graduate degree or has completed their bachelor's or master's degree in Mathematics, Bio-Engineering Psychology, Chemical Engineer, Materials Science Engineer, Biochemistry Engineer, Computer Science, Physical Science, Political, or Language Sciences.
- Ability to apply basic and scientific approaches to problem-solving (plan, analyze and execute) based on the level of education.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills.
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas.
- Experience working with personal computers and familiarity with Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Demonstrated academic achievement in Mathematics, Bio-Engineering Psychology, Computer Science, Physical Science, Political or Language Sciences.
- Experience applying advanced engineering or scientific principles to solve technical problems.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral