Refine Search Clear All
Cybersecurity Graduate Summer Internship
Students | livermore, CA | 01/27/2021
Job Code: 705.3 Grad Student Computer Prof / 712.0 Intern Exempt
Organization: Global Security
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for graduate students and for students who have received a bachelor’s or master’s degree to join the Cybersecurity Summer Internship (CSI) program and to work on topics related to cybersecurity that align with LLNL’s national security missions. The 2021 CSI program will run during the summer with flexible dates between May 1, 2021 to August 31, 2021. CSI is designed to provide selected candidates an opportunity to apply the skills they have acquired to projects in areas of national importance. The program will include opportunities to participate in Capture the Flag (CTF)-style challenges, network with fellow interns and lab employees, and learn more about work going on at LLNL. These positions will be in the Energy and Homeland Security Program (E Program) within the Global Security Directorate.
In this role you will
- Work with scientists, engineers, and technical staff members to provide technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of cybersecurity, critical infrastructure, and other related fields.
- Support documentation, testing, creation or modification of Laboratory software, hardware or computer operating systems.
- Under limited direction and supervision will conduct research in assigned area.
- Perform technical assignments of a basic degree of complexity and providing technical support to scientists in scientific research and development projects.
- Attend relevant on-site seminars and training classes (at least one per week).
- Present work through presentations and/or poster sessions.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing a graduate degree or has completed their bachelor’s or master’s degree.
- Ability to apply computational science and/or mathematical principles to solve technical problems.
- Demonstrated academic achievement in scientific curriculum.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills.
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas.
- Experience applying advanced computational science and/or mathematical principles to solve technical problems.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Demonstrated exposure through coursework or relevant experience to some of the following topics: Network/Protocol Analysis; Intrusion Detection; Cryptography; Reverse Engineering; Incident Response; Malware Analysis; Systems Programming.
Qualifications we desire
- GPA of 3.0 or above.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral