Refine Search Clear All
Data Science Summer Institute Undergraduate Student Internship
Students | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: 705.1 Under Grad Student
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
We have multiple openings for our Undergraduate summer internship program in data science. Our openings are for undergraduate level students to join the Data Science Summer Institute (DSSI). The DSSI is a 12-week summer internship program and selected interns will be given the opportunity to engage in practical research to further their educational goals. The selected interns will work in the data science field and provide technical and/or research support to projects in the area of Machine Learning, Statistics, High Performance Computing, and other related fields.
In this role you will
- Students will work with scientists, engineers and technical staff members to provide technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of computational science, numerical methods, mathematics, or other related fields.
- Under close supervision, will participate in research in assigned area.
- Gather and analyze data and information in support of scientific research.
- Participate in research planning and evaluation discussion.
- Attend relevant seminars and participate in DSSI related courses, meetings and events.
- Present one seminar or poster on your research project.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing an undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Machine Learning, Computer Vision, Bioengineering, or other related fields.
- Effective programming skills in a high-level language such as R, Python or Matlab. Ability to apply basic principles of data sciences (machine learning, statistics, computer science, mathematics) to solve technical problems.
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Effective communication skills.
- Desire to understand and explore why certain algorithms are well-suited to specific applications.
- Desire to participate in individual or team efforts including the LLNL DSSI Challenge Problems.
- Desire to improve skills in public presentation of scientific results by giving presentations and participating in the LLNL student poster competition.
- Eagerness to obtain an understanding of new application areas.
- Exposure through coursework or relevant experience to some of the following topics:
- Statistical modeling and data analysis
- Bayesian and frequentist statistical frameworks
- Inverse problems, uncertainty quantification
- Machine learning
- Computer vision
- Multimedia signal and video processing
- Combinatorics and algorithms
- Graph modeling and social network analysis
- Modeling and Simulation
Qualifications We Desire
- GPA of 3.0 or above.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Equal Employment Opportunity
California Privacy Notice