Refine Search Clear All
Engineering | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3 / TSS.4 Technical Services & Ops MTS 4
Organization: Operations and Business Office
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for Construction Managers. You will have advanced technical and administrative oversight for execution of the Institutional Services Construction Contract (ICSS) and subcontract construction affecting Laboratory structure, systems and components related to the construction/facility infrastructure environment and technical responsibility for managing subcontracted construction projects and planning, coordinating and communicating subcontractor construction activities with the representatives across the laboratory. This position is in the Project Management Office (PMO).
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide advanced technical and administrative direction and oversight in support of LLNL construction projects.
- Provide solutions to complex technical issues and implement construction resolutions relating to complex drawings, specifications, and other construction data furnished to subcontractor in accordance with subcontract and LLNL requirements.
- Monitor subcontractor’s safety program for compliance with LLNS-approved project-related safety programs and enforce subcontractor’s adherence to these safety programs.
- Monitor subcontractor’s schedule and proactively manage time-critical issues to ensure project milestones are met, and coordinate/schedule “hold-point” and/or special “safety hold-point” inspection.
- Direct the procurement and delivery of government furnished equipment and/or material.
- Review site specific safety plan (SSSP) and job hazards analysis (JHA) for adherence to accepted Laboratory safety policies. Expedite and coordinate the review and approval process of project specific safety documents with LLNL ES&H stakeholders.
- Ensure the subcontractor furnished “testing and commissioning” plan is in accordance with subcontract requirement. Coordinate the commissioning process with LLNL stakeholders, oversee the testing/commissioning activities, and assemble project close-out documentation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.4 level
- Create project specific quality assurance plans and perform/coordinate/direct quality assurance oversight of work in progress, and provide expert level LOTO experience to facilitate, coordinate and oversee Complex LOTO activities involving multiple hazards associated in a construction environment.
- Perform expert level constructability reviews and suggest creative solutions to complex design packages; lead preconstruction meetings, weekly coordination meetings, and prepare meeting agendas and minutes.
- Represent LLNS as the subject matter expert in the areas designated within the subcontract including implementing decisions related to construction matters, processing subcontractor-generated documents, requests for information (RFI), technical submittals, and as-built drawings.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Construction Management or equivalent combination of education and experience, or certified construction manager under CMAA; and advanced knowledge and understanding of the construction manager role.
- Advanced knowledge of construction methods, materials and codes, and ability to read and understand blueprint drawings.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience with constructability review of bid packages.
- Significant experience managing construction projects and budgets.
- Significant experience interpreting and applying applicable local, state, and federal safety standards, codes, laws and regulations, environment, safety, and health policies and procedures, and OSHA regulations to each construction project.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively explain, present and advise all project personnel and customers.
- Proficiency with construction project management software such as Procore.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.4 level
- Significant experience managing multiple construction projects and budgets simultaneously, and experience producing and implementing solutions to highly complex engineering-related problems.
- Subject matter expert in construction methods, scheduling, materials and codes, extensive experience with electrical installations and NFPA 70E, NEC code experience.
- Experience monitoring or directing activities of subordinate staff, teams or workgroups.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in the area of construction of major laboratory facilities and buildings.
- Proficiency with MS Project.
- Familiarity with LLNL’s Integrated Safety Management System.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral