Refine Search Clear All
Machine Repairer/Electrician II/III
Engineering | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: 983.2 Machine Repairer II / 983.3 Machine Repairer III
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for Machine Repairers in the electrician discipline to work in our Machine Tool Services Group. You will be responsible for installing, testing, repairing, maintaining, or modifying electronic/ electrical systems on machine tools and related equipment in support of LLNL programs. These positions require close interactions with technical and supervisory personnel throughout the Laboratory. The selected candidates may receive work assignments at various locations, including Livermore and at Site 300 in Tracy and assignments may include working in areas with radioactive, toxic, and/or high explosives materials. These positions are in the Materials Engineering Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Design, fabricate, install, maintain, and/or modify moderately complex electrical systems to improve the operation, reliability, and/or safety of LLNL’s machine tools.
- Responsible for testing and repairing moderately complex electronic systems on machine tools and related equipment in support of LLNL Programs.
- Lay out and install electrical devices, power distribution equipment, and wiring systems in accordance with national, local, and LLNL safety codes and practices.
- Use hand and powered tools that are typically used in the electrician trade including basic diagnostic equipment such as multi-test meters, voltmeters, insulation testers, line analyzers, and logic analyzers.
- Read and interpret electrical moderately complex diagrams, schematics, panel schedules and drawings.
- Solve moderately complex technical problems and make decisions under general supervision.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 983.3 level
- Solve complex technical problems and make decisions of high consequence using advanced electrical skills and knowledge.
- Understand and calculate fault current and arc flash.
- Lead responsibilities for small groups of technical employees on projects involving multiple electrical workers or other crafts.
- Associate degree in mechanical, electrical, industrial, or manufacturing technology or equivalent with intermediate to advanced journey level experience or combination of an apprenticeship program in electrician trade and equivalent experience.
- Experience designing, installing, and maintaining electrical systems including the ability read and interpret electrical moderately complex diagrams, schematics, panel schedules and drawings.
- General level of experience using hand and powered tools that are typically used in the electrical trade including diagnostic equipment such as multi-test meters, oscilloscopes, recorders, line analyzers, logic analyzers, as well as diagnostic software on PC and CNC based platforms.
- Intermediate knowledge of applicable electrical codes (such as the National Electrical Code NFPA-70, NFPA 70E, and the Electrical Standard for Industrial Machinery NFPA-79), OSHA, and ES&H regulations.
- Knowledge of applicable OSHA and ES&H regulations.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Must possess a valid State of California General Electrician License and a valid California Class C Driver License with the ability to operate common motor vehicles including a 6000 lb. fork truck.
- Ability to become medically qualified to wear respiratory and protection equipment.
Additional qualifications at the 983.3 level
- Advanced electrical skills and knowledge.
- Knowledge and ability to working with fault current and arc flash.
- Ability to lead small groups of technical employees on projects involving multiple electrical workers or other crafts.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral