Refine Search Clear All
Postdoctoral Researcher - Micro and Nano Technology
Engineering | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Either no clearance, DOE L or Q clearance depending on assignment. Clearances require U.S. citizenship and a background investigation. Uncleared positions over 179 days may require an investigation.
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for Postdoctoral Researchers to work in our Micro & Nano Technology Section (MNTS), Implantable Microsystems Group. You will collaborate with a team of Engineers and Scientists, both internally and externally, to complete research and development projects on selected topics/areas focused on building research-grade implantable medical devices in cutting-edge areas such as neurotechnology. The results are anticipated to be published in reference journals and presented at conferences. These positions are in the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.
In this role you will
- Conduct research in and development of novel technologies for implantable microsystems, including but not limited to: microfabrication and development of new fabrication processes, design and development of new devices, design optimization and improvement of currently existing processes, and develop new research programs and areas within implantable microsystems.
- Work closely with an interdisciplinary team consisting of engineers, scientists, and technicians both at LLNL as well as outside of LLNL, including sponsors, in order to complete project goals.
- Will work in one or more of the following areas depending on your skill set: microfabrication, 3D printing technologies, embedded electronics, computational modeling, electrochemical testing/verification, metrology such as SEM.
- Fabricate, model, or characterize materials, devices and systems. Perform bench testing validation and report results for an interdisciplinary team.
- Organize, analyze, and present data from research.
- Work within a quality-controlled and documentation-driven environment.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Electrical, Biomedical, Chemical, Mechanical Engineering, or related field.
- Experience with one or more of the following areas: microfabrication (e.g. lithography, thin-film deposition, polymers), custom board-level electronics, simulation and modeling (e.g. MATLAB, COMSOL, etc.), packaging, biocompatibility, metrology (e.g. SEM)
- Experience with experiment design, data acquisition, programming, and/or device characterization.
- Ability to perform as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques, and execution.
- Ability to develop independent research projects through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral