Refine Search Clear All
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Computational Scientist to perform research and development on parallel multigrid solvers for linear and nonlinear systems of equations on high performance computers in support of the Laboratory’s national security mission. You will work as a member of the HYPRE team with computational mathematicians and computer scientists, including collaborators internal and external to the Laboratory, to advance the state of the art in large-scale simulation on modern architectures. This position is in the Center for Applied Scientific Computing (CASC) Division within the Computing Directorate.
In this role you will
- Conduct research on multigrid methods for the solution of large-scale systems of equations on high performance computers.
- Develop and implement multigrid algorithms and optimizations for advanced architectures, such as GPUs.
- Contribute to the development of the HYPRE software library.
- Provide solutions to complex problems that require in-depth analysis of multiple factors and the creative use of established methods; prioritize many complex parallel tasks.
- Provide guidance and support to users of the simulation tools and algorithms developed.
- Conduct independent research and collaborate with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to accomplish research goals and serve as the primary technical contact on specific projects.
- Present and disseminate research results at scientific conferences and in peer-reviewed publications.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics, Computational Science, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge of multigrid methods and numerical mathematics.
- Significant experience programming in C/C++ in a Linux environment utilizing MPI parallelism.
- Significant experience in applying HPC knowledge to new computational domains and applications including critical infrastructure.
- Experience with the HYPRE software library.
- Significant experience working independently while effectively managing concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities.
- Ability to understand new application domains and problems and identify underlying mathematical and algorithmic solutions.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to collaborate effectively in a team environment, author technical and scientific reports and publications, deliver scientific presentations, and provide advice to management.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with GPU acceleration of numerical algorithms.
- Experience with scientific computing applications.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral