Refine Search Clear All
Engineering Coordinator - Electronics
Engineering | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: 338.1 Engineering/Scientific Coord / 339.2 Senior Eng Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for an Engineering/Scientific Coordinator specializing in electrical/electronics fabrication. You will support an Accelerator Development Organization within the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate by providing advanced technical and administrative oversight and coordination of LLNL-internal fabrications and outside procurements on a variety of electronic and associated mechanical hardware. You will determine bidder/supplier sourcing and internal/external fabrication/test options to purchase materials, parts, printed circuit board assemblies (PCBAs), cable harnesses, and associated mechanical assemblies varying in size and complexity. Travel to suppliers’ facilities is required. Initially supporting development and prototyping efforts, future assignments may include oversite of limited-run production efforts. This position is in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) within the Engineering Directorate and will be supporting the Advanced Sources and Detectors (ASD) Scorpius Program.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, project managers, onsite shops and outside suppliers to determine most efficient, expeditious, and cost-effective methods to source and/or fabricate complex to highly complex technical equipment, components, and/or assemblies.
- Prepare and present information to engineering/scientific teams, suppliers, and project management; provide regular detailed cost-estimates, schedules, status updates and reports to supervisor and other stakeholders. Anticipate and reconcile supply problems, including technical factors affecting critical milestones.
- Provide advanced technical and administrative oversight of coordination of movement and tracking of material both onsite at LLNL and to/from/among outside suppliers while ensuring ensure proper and efficient operation and adherence to security, environmental, health, and safety regulations.
- Utilize Manufacturing Resources Planning (MRP) system, and interface with MRP System Specialists to create manufacturing bill of materials (MBoMs) from engineering bill of materials (EBoMs), track procured items, ensure availability of parts/subassemblies/etc., orchestrate production, and capture configuration, etc.
- Determine supplier sourcing and internal/external fabrication options to purchase materials, parts, PCBAs, cable harnesses, electronics/power chassis, and associated mechanical parts/assemblies. Oversee submission and tracking of orders, finding/qualifying new candidate suppliers, developing/defending bid lists, and oversight/tracking of production contracts.
- Maintain certification as a LLNL Technical Release Representative (TRR), thereby being the team’s resource for procurement processes and rules while coordinating credit-card purchase order workload among yourself and other TRRs.
- Perform advanced technical assignments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 339.2 level
- Provide highly advanced technical support for sourcing and/or fabricating highly complex technical equipment, components, and/or assemblies.
- Research and refine supplier sourcing and internal/external fabrication strategies for identifying and analyzing alternate solutions as needed.
- Provide original solutions to highly complex technical problems.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical/Electronic Engineering/Technology or equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
- Advanced skills and knowledge of complex to highly complex manufacturing/fabrication methods for PCBAs, cable harnesses, electronics/power chassis, and associated mechanical parts/assemblies.
- Advanced understanding and experience with the acquisition process; approval, bid, award, inspection/acceptance/test, receive, reconciliation, close-out; ability to engage procurement staff.
- Advanced understanding and experience of Industry Standards (e.g., ANSI, IPC) for electronic fabrication and test.
- Significant experience performing cost estimating, procurement planning, procurement package creation, proposal evaluation, supplier oversight, source inspection, etc.
- Significant experience working in a multi-disciplinary project environment with simultaneous commitments to performance, cost, and schedule. High-level interpersonal, organizational, decision-making, multitasking, and problem-solving skills
- Advanced written, verbal, feedback, and presentation communication skills; significant experience writing/preparing procurement package documentation.
- Ability to interface with off-site suppliers to develop good communication channels leading to long-term relationships and to secure and maintain technical release representative (TRR) status with the LLNL Supply Chain (Procurement) organization.
Additional qualifications at the 339.2 level
- Highly advanced technical knowledge and experience with fabrication and/or outside sourcing of highly complex technical equipment.
- Highly advanced data analysis/research skills and experience required for evaluation outside supplier fabrication capabilities.
- Ability to approach solutions to highly complex technical problems in a self-directed manner, under minimal direction.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of ISO 9000, ANSI QC-1, etc. Quality Assurance programs; e.g., ability to recognize deficiencies in suppliers’ Quality Assurance programs and assist suppliers with corrective actions.
- Advanced knowledge of purchasing/procurement and associated organization regulations/procedures in a USG-funded environment.
- Working (keyboard-level) knowledge of Material Requirements Planning (MRP) systems.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral