Refine Search Clear All
Mechanical Technologist/Sr. Mechanical Technologist
Engineering | tracy, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: 533.2 Technologist-Mechanical / 533.3 Sr Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for Mechanical Technologist/Sr. Mechanical Technologist. You will support new and on-going experiments for various programs at LLNL’s Site 300 (Tracy, CA) and the Livermore Site. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED)/Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) Program, supporting the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide general technical support to engineering, scientific, and technical staff to plan and conduct experiments at LLNL and other off-site locations in support of physics experiments, mechanical engineering evaluation, and to ensure operational readiness of our facilities.
- Design, fabricate, assemble, and disassemble moderately complex mechanical components and systems, using work control process and procedure requirements.
- Operate mechanical diagnostic equipment, maintain area controls, assist with mechanical diagnostic calibration and alignment, test prior to experiment execution, and perform data recovery after experiment execution.
- Apply intermediate knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes in solving mechanical problems.
- Provide operations, maintenance, design, fabrication, assembly support, and maintain systems documentation and experimental records.
- Perform facility related and technical functions such as maintenance, testing, upgrades to equipment control, and interlock systems checks.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 533.3 level
- Provide advanced technical assembly and disassembly support of complex systems.
- Design, fabricate, assemble, and disassemble complex mechanical components and systems including planning and selecting materials, equipment, and methods.
- Assist in developing test parameters, comprehensive troubleshooting and testing materials, components, or systems, identifying problems, and providing input on solutions.
- Associate’s degree in Engineering Technology, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience solving a variety of moderately complex technical problems in completion of work assignments.
- Experience with mechanical diagnostic equipment, maintaining area controls, assisting with mechanical diagnostic calibration and alignment, testing prior to experiment execution, and performing data recovery after experiment execution.
- Experience in mechanical fabrication and assembly.
- Effective written and verbal communication and presentation skills and ability to work constructively in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Ability to complete and maintain certifications as required by the position.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. in a safe and controlled manner.
- Ability to become medically qualified to wear respiratory and other protective equipment and perform moderate work effort while wearing respirators.
Additional qualifications at the 533.3 level
- Experience working with high level precision component assemblies with tight tolerances.
- High level technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Ability to read and follow complex assembly procedures, engineering notes, sketches, and engineering drawings.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience fulfilling Work Control process and procedure requirements.
- Experience working with radioactive/fissile materials.
- Knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing standards.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral