Refine Search Clear All
Senior System Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 04/18/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for a Sr. System Engineer to support the Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) W80-4 Life Extension and W87-1 Modification Programs within the Systems Engineering and Integration (SE&I) group. Your primary focus will be to provide support for a set of high-level technical Systems Engineering activities, working with a group of systems engineering professionals, to provide project integration and management of requirements, mapping of designs, functions, failure mechanisms, risks, assessments and verifications to requirements. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), supporting the Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) Program.
In this role you will
- Support SE&I group in project systems engineering, development, execution, expertise, and systems analytic methods that support product qualification and system certification.
- Define, track, and complete work objectives on time and within budget in collaboration with group and LEP/MOD personnel. Monitor performance required to meet programmatic milestones and deliverables and lead corrective actions where necessary.
- Lead component and subsystem specific technical requirements development including but not limited to performance requirements identification, interface requirements management, and traceability to verification activities.
- Collaborate with external agencies for jointly developed deliverables.
- Promote the systems engineering discipline and participate in hiring activities to support WTE and WCI programs.
- Responsible for ensuring that program risks and requirements are communicated in an effective and timely manner to leadership. Influence technical decisions made by management, based on SE&I activities.
- Perform WTE and WCI special assignments and represent the Programs and DTED at meetings, briefings, and committee activities both internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Mentor team members in common SE&I practices and activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience with systems engineering practices for requirements, designs, functions, failure mechanisms, risks, assessments, and verifications.
- Advanced understanding and application of systems engineering tools and techniques, product realization processes, project work planning, scheduling, cost estimating, analyzing and managing budgets, and project controls reporting.
- Ability to promote and maintain productive relationships across directorates, with other laboratories, and with personnel from external entities.
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction and uses independent judgement in determining systems engineering methods and techniques.
- Excellent communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills, necessary to present, explain, and advise management and/or external sponsors.
- Significant experience working independently and responsively to changing priorities and ability to meet deadlines.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Engineering or related field.
- Broad knowledge of Laboratory policies and practices and applicable NNSA orders.
- Subject matter knowledge of nuclear warhead engineering, assessments, and design.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.