Refine Search Clear All
Senior Electrical Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for a Senior Electrical Engineer. You will participate in new and ongoing projects in the area of National Defense, with technical responsibility for a range of duties including design, development, fabrication, integration, testing and fielding of both analog and digital electrical systems, as well as electro-optical systems. Occasional travel may be required. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide guidance, technical direction and solutions in the design, production, and testing of a variety of electrical and electro-optical systems.
- Provide advanced engineering design solutions to a variety of projects in one or more of the following technical areas: analog and digital circuit design, pulsed power and electromagnetics, electro-static discharge (ESD), high explosives initiation systems, diagnostics and sensor development, electro-optic systems, data acquisition systems and tester development, process control systems, high voltage power supplies, and installation of facility electrical equipment and infrastructure.
- Provide advanced conceptual solutions to a diverse range of complex issues/problems that require analysis and creative use of established techniques and methods.
- Learn and support institutional, NNSA, and other quality assurance requirements including following defined policies, practices, and procedures for state-of-health surveillance of the nuclear stockpile.
- Become skillful in the unique design requirements for electrical systems that involve high voltage, high explosives, and electro-optics.
- Generate detailed plans, schedules, and budgets for project activities.
- Prepare supporting safety and engineering documentation and reports and participate in engineering design reviews.
- Interface with other organizations internal and external to the Laboratory to complete various LLNL projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.4 level
- Set broad project vision and strategy and influence technical direction for self and others.
- Develop new ideas and redefine customer requirements that impact organizational operations or directions.
- Provide expert capability in the design and analysis of complex electrical, mechanical, and electro-optics systems.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge of electrical engineering concepts related to assembly, calibration, and testing of analog and digital electrical systems.
- Advanced knowledge of electrical and electro-optics systems.
- Advanced knowledge of one or more of the following: analog design, electro-optical systems, capacitive discharge units (CDUs) or other high-voltage pulse-forming networks, detonators, safing systems, and other components in high explosive initiation trains, digital logic design using field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs) in VHSIC Hardware Description Language (VHDL) and Verilog, telemetry systems, casting technologies, furnace operations, inductive power supplies, process control systems, microcontroller hardware and software, programmable logic controller (PLC) coding, LabVIEW programming, and the National Electric Code (NEC).
- Advanced knowledge of SPICE or similar circuit simulation software.
- Significant experience in conducting experiments of complex electrical and electro-optics systems and the advanced application of timing and data acquisition systems.
- Significant experience in managing, overseeing, and delivering multiple projects on budget and schedule.
- Advanced communication skills with proven ability to present concepts and ideas in a clear and coherent manner, both verbal and written for presentation and interaction with other technical staff members.
- Ability to travel.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Master's degree in Electrical Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Highly advanced experience translating requirements into hardware and software specifications, as well as reading and interpreting mechanical, electrical, and electro-optical specifications using drawings, datasheets, and procedure manuals.
- Highly advanced experience monitoring performance required to meet programmatic milestones and deliverables, and lead corrective actions where necessary with advanced verbal skills to communicate to senior management, and to positively represent the Program and the Laboratory.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of electro-optic systems including lasers, photo converters, isolators, and diagnostics, such as Photonic Doppler Velocimetry (PDV).
- Knowledge of mechanical structures, design applications employing high explosives, compressible fluid flow, or plasmas as well as high explosive handling and assembly processes.
- Subject matter expertise in ESD modeling, testing, and controls.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral