Refine Search Clear All
Postdoctoral Experimental Physicist
Engineering | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: NIF and Photon Science
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
We have multiple openings for Postdoctoral Experimental Physicists to execute experiments, develop unique diagnostics and diagnostic techniques, and lead frontier research in the areas of ICF and HED physics, laboratory astrophysics, plasma physics, high intensity laser-matter interactions, nuclear science, and high-pressure physics. Areas of active research are laser-plasma instabilities, deep nonlinear hydrodynamic instabilities in compressible media and other compressible turbulent phenomena, the response of solids at extreme pressure and strain rate, high Mach-number shocks, radiation, heat and particle transport in plasmas, x-ray spectroscopy, diffraction and scattering. This position is in the High Energy Density Scientific and Technology (HED S&T) Program in the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science Principal (NIF&PS) Directorate.
In this role, you will
- Research, design and execute x-ray and laser driven experiments at NIF, at the OMEGA laser facility, and at the on-site Jupiter laser facility.
- Design, field, and coordinate optical, x-ray and nuclear diagnostics.
- Author and present technical and scientific reports, presentations, and publications for internal and external audiences including the DOE community and at conferences.
- Collaborate with scientists and researchers to accomplish research goals.
- Coordinate team resources and plan experimental campaigns.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists, internally and externally to the laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in plasma physics, hydrodynamics, shock physics, spectroscopy, condensed matter, nuclear physics, dynamic material science, or related discipline.
- Experience in experimental physics in one of the following areas: laser-plasma interactions, hydrodynamics, radiation driven hydrodynamics, radiation transport, condensed matter, nuclear physics or high energy density experiments.
- Comprehensive analytical and experimental skills.
- Experience developing, calibrating and fielding x-ray, optical or nuclear diagnostics and associated analysis techniques.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills to author technical and scientific reports, publications, and invited papers, and deliver scientific presentations.
- Effective interpersonal skills necessary to collaborate and work in a team environment.
- Ability to perform independent research.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with laser or pulsed power sources.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Equal Employment Opportunity
California Privacy Notice