Refine Search Clear All
Engineering Electrical Design Associate
Engineering | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: 334.1 Engineering Design Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for an Engineering Electrical Design Associate to support the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate. NIF is the home of the world’s most powerful and energetic laser. The successful candidate will establish scope of work, provide advanced technical support in the areas of electro-mechanical design, documentation, and manufacturing. This will include solving a diversity of simple to highly complex technical problems, regularly collaborating with scientists, engineers, and high-level technical personnel, both internal and external to NIF. This position is in Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Apply innovative technical expertise to develop, interpret and translate complex concepts into design solutions that address requirements and constraints.
- Translate solutions to generate detailed interconnection, wiring diagrams, cable assemblies, panel layouts, silkscreens, parametric assembly drawings (cable harnesses, electronic chassis, electronics racks, and sub-assemblies) and associated mechanical detail drawings utilizing GD&T (ASME Y14.5).
- Develop and provide supporting documentation for design solutions that may include calculations, analysis, schedules, costing and procedures.
- Capture design solutions using Creo Parametric 3.0, Creo Schematics 4.0, AutoCAD 2017 and GerbTool 16 design tools.
- Maintain documentation in PTC Windchill PLM CM (configuration management) system.
- Provide regular progress reporting to supervisor reflecting effort and resource needs, schedule, job scope and work assignments.
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, and high- level technical personnel to independently formulate and develop advanced technical solutions to problems and participate in or lead design reviews.
- Provide technical lead responsibilities and direction to others in reviewing and checking the accuracy of the work of others.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience with Creo Parametric, Creo Schematics and AutoCAD.
- Experience working in PTC Windchill PLM CM (configuration management) system.
- Experience generating complex interconnection, wiring diagrams, cable assemblies, panel layouts, silkscreens, parametric assembly drawings (cable harnesses, electronic chassis, electronics racks, and sub-assemblies) and associated mechanical detail drawings while utilizing GD&T (ASME Y14.5).
- Ability to analyze and interpret complex design requirements and to exercise creativity and judgment in solving design problems.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills necessary to interact with multi-disciplinary teams in various roles as assignee, presenter, and mentor to others.
- Ability to multitask, with both individual effort and directing of others, with minimal supervision, and maintain a high level of accuracy.
- Ability to take independent action when warranted and act as a member of a multi-disciplinary team.
Qualifications We Desire
- Working experience with Mentor Graphics.
- Working experience with LabVIEW.
- Working experience with MathCAD.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral