Refine Search Clear All
Engineering | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: 534.3 Designer
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have openings for multiple Mechanical Designers to participate in new and ongoing projects. You will bring engineering support to precision laser systems enabling scientific exploration of the frontiers in fusion ignition, national security, astrophysics, materials science, nuclear science, and other scientific disciplines. You will provide advanced computer aided mechanical design and drafting support, and configuration management of CAD objects to further the aims of the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF & PS) Directorate. These positions are in the Laser Science Engineering Organization (LSEO), within the Engineering Directorate. LSEO provides support to the NIF&PS Directorate and its associated Programs.
In this role you will
- Provide advanced Computer Aided Design/Product Lifecycle management (CAD/PLM) design support to engineering, scientific and technical staff.
- Process complex drawings and other technical information using database management software based on the PTC Windchill platform.
- Apply appropriate standards to develop designs and create CAD objects, independently, under minimal supervision.
- Contribute to preliminary design concepts for hardware, components and systems including making independent judgment and decisions under moderate technical authority.
- Estimate scheduling and costs to determine effective methods in design, materials, and time to meet project deliverables and prepare and present technical material for design reviews, procedures, and other related documentation.
- Review completed drawings and other documentation for adherence to LLNL drafting standards and specifications.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Associate Degree in Mechanical Drafting or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Advanced knowledge in Computer Aided Design/Product Lifecycle management (CAD/PLM) design, hardware design, fabrication, assembly techniques, materials, testing processes and manufacturing methods.
- Advanced knowledge of the standards, procedures, and techniques related to drafting including knowledge of the ASME Y14.5M Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing Standard.
- Advanced understanding of mechanical design principles and ability to solve complex technical problems.
- Ability to read and follow complex engineering notes, sketches, drawings specifications and procedures.
- Effective written and verbal communication, presentation and feedback skills.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with Creo Parametric 3 and PTC Windchill.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral