Refine Search Clear All
HEAF Mechanical Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Mechanical Engineer to support the High Explosives Applications Facility (HEAF). You will plan, manage, and execute projects in support of facility and programmatic work in HEAF, including firing tanks, laboratory areas, and the facility structure itself. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Develop requirements, designs, project scope, costs, schedule, and risk plans to field and execute projects focused on facility maintenance, operations, and programmatic equipment for use in a high explosives facility.
- Develop and implement rigorous project management methods and tools to ensure successful execution of projects.
- Review, write, and develop technical specifications, drawings, and operating procedures.
- Oversee and provide technical direction to facility capabilities including but not limited to laboratory guns, firing tanks, and associated sub-systems.
- Work closely with scientific personnel and experimentalists to plan and safely conduct experiments by assessing shrapnel, fragment, and shock mitigation techniques and technologies to ensure facility and personnel protection.
- Review and approve the mechanical design of all new facility equipment and all mechanical design changes for existing facility and plant equipment.
- Ensure that new or modified mechanical facilities are installed and operating and ensure that all mechanical equipment, including Systems with Safety Functions, are properly maintained.
- Participate in formal and informal design reviews.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Provide technical expertise in mechanical design.
- Produce advanced conceptual and detail designs in support of on-going projects.
- Lead and/or provide guidance and technical direction to multidisciplinary project teams in a growing, dynamic environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of theory and application of explosives and the characteristics of explosive reactions.
- Comprehensive knowledge of hardware design, fabrication, installation, and commission.
- Experience effectively managing projects and ability to organize and conduct rigorous design and project reviews.
- Ability to devise solutions for complex technical requirements.
- Ability to manage (organize, direct, and monitor schedule and budgets) multiple projects concurrently and to reprioritize and change programmatic direction depending on emergent requests.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively interact and collaborate with program, resource management, and federal management staff and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Advanced knowledge of mechanical design and analysis.
- Significant experience in managing, overseeing, and delivering multiple projects on budget and schedule.
- Advanced communication skills with proven ability to present concepts and ideas in a clear and coherent manner, both verbal and written for presentation and interaction with other technical staff members.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience handling explosives/energetics.
- Experience analyzing fragmentation data determining potential pattern size and shape.
- Experience working in the nuclear weapons program and with Laboratory operations and business processes.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral