Refine Search Clear All
Electrical Engineer - Generalist
Engineering | livermore, CA | 01/25/2021
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for Electrical Engineer/Generalists. Successful candidates will help develop, design, and implement analog and digital circuits for a wide range of research and development projects in the areas of RF instrumentation, accelerators, networked sensor and space-based systems for national security missions. Technical responsibilities include analog and digital design, embedded programming, back end drivers, simulation, control applications and/or high-power systems. Execution involves working in a team environment to produce system specifications, design documentation, simulated system performance, test plans, tested hardware and software, and design reviews. You will work within National Security Engineering Division (NSED) providing solutions to the challenges facing our nation in national defense, homeland security, energy and environment, and fundamental physics. This position is in NSED within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Develop conceptual designs of limited complexity electrical systems, test prototypes, and associated diagnostics under general direction.
- Develop detailed designs, specify circuit components, oversee part fabrication and unit assembly.
- Develop software at the application layer down to the embedded processor using well defined techniques and methods.
- Develop device drivers and applications of limited complexity to talk to commercial off the shelf (COTS) or custom hardware.
- Perform circuit simulations to verify system performance and functionality.
- Learn unique design requirements for electrical systems that involve both high voltage and high explosives.
- Prepare supporting safety and engineering documentation and participate in engineering design reviews.
- Participate in engineering testing operations, analyze results, and write reports.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Provide solutions and guidance to the testing of prototypes and associated diagnostics utilizing comprehensive knowledge of conceptual designs of electrical systems.
- Collaborate with team members to solve moderately complex to complex issues/problems that require analysis and creative use of established techniques and methods under limited direction.
- Interact with other organizations internal and external to the Laboratory to complete various LLNL projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related field, or equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Knowledge of fundamental electrical engineering concepts related to assembly, calibration, and testing of analog and digital electrical systems.
- Knowledge of SPICE or similar circuit simulation software.
- Fundamental knowledge of microcontroller, FPGA hardware, and associated software and simulation tools.
- Fundamental knowledge of technical computing (e.g., simulation development, signal and image processing) using platforms such as MATLAB or Python.
- Experience with modern application development using languages such as C++ or Java
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team environment effectively.
- Sufficient communication skills with proven ability to present concepts and ideas in a clear and coherent manner, both verbal and written for presentation and interaction with other technical staff members.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience reading and interpreting moderately complex to complex mechanical, optical, and electrical specifications using drawings, datasheets, and procedure manuals.
- Experience in conducting experiments of electrical configuration and settings, and the advanced application of timing and data acquisition systems.
- Experience translating customer requirements into control systems hardware and software specifications.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related field.
- Knowledge of LABVIEW for hardware control and instrumentation applications.
- Knowledge of design applications for high voltage systems.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral