Refine Search Clear All
Building Plans Examiner
Business Operations | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: 369.1 Maintenance/Construction Coord
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Building Plans Examiner. You will be responsible for reviewing all proposed building/construction plans for compliance with California building, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, accessibility, and fire codes. You will work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions and conflicting priorities. This position is in the Fire and Building Safety Division of the Emergency Management Department.
In this role you will
- Provide advanced technical and administrative coordination and oversight to plan and lead the review of all proposed building plans and/or construction documents for new and existing buildings, renovations, and remodeling work for compliance with building, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, accessibility and fire codes.
- Participate on project teams with builders, architects, engineers, and facility managers to ensure compliance; provide interpretation and offer, advise, or recommend solutions to meet the necessary standards, codes, or regulations.
- Provide advanced review of complex materials and application permits for all significant structures, developments and/or rehabilitations.
- Apply broad technical knowledge of codes and regulations in the recommendation for issuance of permits.
- Provide advanced technological assistance to technical staff regarding building plumbing, mechanical electrical, accessibility, and fire codes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture or Engineering technology, related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience with significant experience in reviewing plans for building code compliance.
- ICC Certification as a B3 Building Plans Examiner or I6 California Building Plans Examiner.
- Advanced knowledge of building, electrical, mechanical, and/or plumbing, fire and accessibility codes and regulations; and ability to read, interpret, and understand complex regulations, Federal, State, and NFPA codes and regulations governing building construction, rehabilitation, alteration, and use and occupancy.
- Advanced knowledge of building materials and construction methods and practices; advanced technical skills and experience reading blueprints, drawings, and specifications.
- Advanced written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively with a diverse workforce and represent the Fire and Building Safety Division with all levels of management, internal and external to LLNL.
- Problem-solving and decision-making skills to anticipate, identify, and independently recommend appropriate actions and solutions to complex technical problems.
- Ability to be self-motivated and flexible, exercising a high degree of discretion and mature judgment in handling business sensitive and/or classified information; experience working effectively as a team member as well as independently.
- Extensive computer skills and experience using standard software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
Qualifications We Desire
- ICC Certification as a Commercial Building, Mechanical, Plumbing, or Electrical Inspector.
- ICC Certification as a Permit Technician.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral