Refine Search Clear All
Safety Engineering Functional Area Manager
Environmental, Safety & Health | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: TSM.1 Technical Manager 1
Organization: ESH and Quality
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for the Manager of the Safety Engineering (SE) Functional Area (SE FA). In this role, you will provide day to day management and technical leadership of the functions, disciplines, and personnel within the SE FA. Additionally, you will be counted on for strategic vision and technical oversight to meet the goals and objectives of SE FA customers and stakeholders. You will be a key member of the Environment, Safety and Health (ES&H) Directorate senior management team and report directly to the Associate Director for ES&H, ensuring that the SE Programs at the Laboratory are effective, efficient, and compliant in order to enable the safe execution of Laboratory work. This position is in the ES&H Directorate within the Director’s Office.
In this role you will
- Serve as an integral member of the ES&H Directorate senior management team to formulate and execute high-level goal setting and strategic planning.
- Provide overall leadership, direction, technical oversight, and personnel administration to the SE FA while managing the delivery of an innovative, cost-effective, schedule-driven, compliant, and reliable SE program. The SE FA includes safety programs for electrical, pressure, laser, explosives safety, hoisting and rigging, industrial ventilation, LOTO, machine guarding, fire protection, powered industrial trucks, and traffic safety.
- Engage SE FA customers and stakeholders to ensure comprehensive integration and teaming to operate with shared fate and as a valued and trusted partner, enabling successful mission execution and enhancing safety performance.
- Provide expert level understanding of SE-related requirements imposed by the Prime Contract to effectively liaison with the DOE Livermore Field Office (LFO) on regulatory interpretation and to resolve highly unusual, complex and/or sensitive technical issues.
- Serve as a key advisor to Directorate and Laboratory senior management on broad issues of Safety Engineering. Conduct frequent interactions across organizational lines to gain concurrence/acceptance on complex issues affecting all areas of the Laboratory.
- Develop and maintain meaningful, data driven performance measures for the SE FA that inform Laboratory decision makers and accurately reflect the health of the SE FA at the Laboratory.
- Oversee the SE FA’s performance management, salary management, and manage hiring and recruiting activities, including career development of employees and organizational succession management. Maintain a commitment to attract high-quality staff, and to foster a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment.
- Collaborate with and benchmark against other DOE sites to share practices and continuously improve.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in safety engineering, chemical engineering, or other engineering field or physical science, or the equivalent combination of education and extensive related experience.
- Significant experience leading and/or managing an ES&H program at a large company or national laboratory with a broad set of safety hazards, including significant experience with strategic planning, workforce planning, managing budgets, organizational dynamics, and establishing strategic and operational goals.
- Significant subject matter expertise in several of the safety programs within the scope of the SE FA, with expert level knowledge of, and extensive experience interpreting and evaluating, SE regulations imposed by the Prime contract, demonstrated ability to determine their applicability and impact on operations, and experience evaluating and proposing solutions for issues related to implementation.
- Extensive experience building strong working relationships and trust with a demanding customer base, leading staff in achieving high standards of customer service, and a personal commitment to a customer service ethos.
- Experience successfully collaborating on senior management teams to develop organizational strategy, objectives, measures, and goals.
- Expert situational awareness, problem solving, decision making, and analytical skills necessary to independently advise, recommend, and resolve highly complex problems impacting a large organization.
- Significant experience in performance management and supervision of organizational staff and managers, including performance issues, career development, annual performance appraisals, and salary management with the ability to motivate and inspire a diverse group of personnel.
- Expert communication, facilitation, collaboration, interpersonal, and conflict resolution skills necessary to effectively explain, direct, present, advise, negotiate, and influence all levels of management, both internal and external to the Laboratory.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in safety engineering, industrial hygiene, industrial safety, or related field.
- Experience applying systems safety principles in the design and planning phases.
- Certification as an Industrial Hygiene and/or Industrial Safety Professional, or Professional Engineer License.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral